News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Scandinavians in Belgian Congo

Hi!

I bought this little group a year ago and I thought it would be interesting to do some research about it.

For some reason the Swedish coppersmith Nils Johan Alfred LIDBOM (1880-1964) went to the Belgian Congo and served there between 1905-1930 (according to the auction text).

He was decorated:

The Service Star, in gold. (from what I believe it should be)
    The Royal Order of the Lion, in gold.
    The Commemorative Medal for the Congo.

With the group was his navy badge and a commemorative medal. Can anyone enlighten me regarding these two?

I actually found his name in an article in L’ECHO BELGE, 1918-01-24:
    https://nieuwsvandegrooteoorlog.hetarchief.be/en/pid/mk6542kg5q
    “11-17 novembre 1917. Lois, arrêtés royaux et actes du couvernement. Ministère des colonies. Ordre Royal du Lion. - Nominations. Voulant donner un témoignage de Notre bienveillance aux personnes désignées ciaprès; La Médaille d’Or de l’Ordre Royal du Lion est décernée à:

Lidbom, N.J.A., contremaître de la Marine”

And when google translates it:

“11-17 November 1917. Laws, royal decrees and acts of government. Colonial Ministry. Royal Order of the Lion. - Appointments. Wishing to give a testimony of Our benevolence to the persons named below; The Gold Medal of the Royal Order of the Lion is awarded to:

Lidbom, N, Navy Foreman”

He is also mentioned in L'indépendance belge, 1917-12-22, with the same list.
    https://nieuwsvandegrooteoorlog.hetarchief.be/en/pid/6q1sf2n81p

In the newspapers there are several more persons listed that got the award and I found some more Swedes, Finns etc. I will try to compile the list of names and post it here. When you download the papers you get XML-pages with the text, but my own OCR program did a better job.

Regards,

Stefan

20230410_152112_b.jpg

20230410_152210_b.jpg

Edited by Stefan

On 10/04/2023 at 23:41, Stefan said:

Hi!

I bought this little group a year ago and I thought it would be interesting to do some research about it.

For some reason the Swedish coppersmith Nils Johan Alfred LIDBOM (1880-1964) went to the Belgian Congo and served there between 1905-1930 (according to the auction text).

He was decorated:

The Service Star, in gold. (from what I believe it should be)
    The Royal Order of the Lion, in gold.
    The Commemorative Medal for the Congo.

With the group was his navy badge and a commemorative medal. Can anyone enlighten me regarding these two?

I actually found his name in an article in L’ECHO BELGE, 1918-01-24:
    https://nieuwsvandegrooteoorlog.hetarchief.be/en/pid/mk6542kg5q
    “11-17 novembre 1917. Lois, arrêtés royaux et actes du couvernement. Ministère des colonies. Ordre Royal du Lion. - Nominations. Voulant donner un témoignage de Notre bienveillance aux personnes désignées ciaprès; La Médaille d’Or de l’Ordre Royal du Lion est décernée à:

Lidbom, N.J.A., contremaître de la Marine”

And when google translates it:

“11-17 November 1917. Laws, royal decrees and acts of government. Colonial Ministry. Royal Order of the Lion. - Appointments. Wishing to give a testimony of Our benevolence to the persons named below; The Gold Medal of the Royal Order of the Lion is awarded to:

Lidbom, N, Navy Foreman”

He is also mentioned in L'indépendance belge, 1917-12-22, with the same list.
    https://nieuwsvandegrooteoorlog.hetarchief.be/en/pid/6q1sf2n81p

In the newspapers there are several more persons listed that got the award and I found some more Swedes, Finns etc. I will try to compile the list of names and post it here. When you download the papers you get XML-pages with the text, but my own OCR program did a better job.

Regards,

Stefan

20230410_152112_b.jpg

20230410_152210_b.jpg

Well done

Very lovely group! I also try to collect Belgian Congo medals and groups, but have had no luck in finding a group to a named individual Scandinavian yet.

I would love to see such a list, even more if it would include some Norwegians too :)