News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My Heer Equipment and Insignia

And here is the back of the buckle with RS&S mm. Any ideas on the maker are welcome, as well as any comments on all of the items so far posted on this thread, a few (HU cloth, wreaths and eagles, etc) have had no comments so far :blush: Again, thanks for looking and leaving your comments!

Cheers,

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All!

I have recently acquired a nice Afrika Korps cloth eagle and was looking for some opinions on it. I think it is a cap eagle as it looks too small to be a chest eagle, but it could be a sleeve eagle. My insignia book doesn't show a picture so if anyone can help out that would be great! Here is the front, with some of the original cloth still attached.

Cheers,

Pat

and the reverse, with what looks like good original stitching. Also note that the eagle is scanned in its plastic sleeve to straighten it all out and keep it flat, not directly placed on the scanner. Any opinions and help on this Afrika Korps insignia or any of the last few posts (RS&S Belt Buckle, HU cloth etc) it would really be appreciated.

Cheers again!

Pat

Hello All!

I have recently acquired a nice Afrika Korps cloth eagle and was looking for some opinions on it. I think it is a cap eagle as it looks too small to be a chest eagle, but it could be a sleeve eagle. My insignia book doesn't show a picture so if anyone can help out that would be great! Here is the front, with some of the original cloth still attached.

Cheers,

Pat

Hi Pat,

Looks good to me but again I'm not an "expert" on these. As far as a "sleeve" eagle... only a few TR organizations used that... SS, NSKK, etc. Rommel allowed NO SS in Africa. Any SS insignia you find in tropical kit was from say, Greece, Italy and any other similar areas where they did serve. And this is most definitely NOT an SS style eagle.

Units that served in the African campain were Army, Navy and Air Force. Can definitely rule out the AF... and pretty sure navy would be in gold or silver in the case of administration personnel. So that of course leaves army.

Just need someone up on Afrika Korps cloth insignia to jump in and take it from here.

Good luck! Be great if it turns out to be okay as it certainly has that been there, done that look! :beer:

Dan :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

And here is the back of the buckle with RS&S mm. Any ideas on the maker are welcome, as well as any comments on all of the items so far posted on this thread, a few (HU cloth, wreaths and eagles, etc) have had no comments so far :blush: Again, thanks for looking and leaving your comments!

Cheers,

Pat

Hello again,

I've been doing some research elsewhere and I have found out that the maker of the RS&S belt buckle is Richard Siepert & Sohne of Ludenscheid. Apparently, this maker was one of the few makers of Kriegsmarine belt buckles and this buckle might actually be a Kriegs buckle. If anyone else can correct me on this or let me know if it is in fact a buckle made for the Kriegsmarine (a similar belt by this maker, just different year, is on sale at TRD online that is Kriegs). Of course,any info or help on the previous questions about the other items is great also!

Cheers,

Pat

• 1 month later...

And here we have some sort of Heer army eagle. It is 40 mm tall and has decent detail. Was this an awarded piece, an insignia, or a fantasy piece? I don't see any of these anywhere so any advice is very welcome.

Thanks,

Pat

Here is a scan of the eagle shown in Jack Pia's "Nazi Regalia" book (if there is any problems with copyrights etc please remove the picture, but the proper credit is given to Ballantine Books and Mr. Pia). It looks like my eagle in post #11 is either a copy of this shoulder strap device or maybe a modified shoulder device that was made into a pin post-war. Just a couple ideas. The shoulder strap shown is for a "Boatswain in the Naval Administration." Any help and opionions are welcome on this or any other item in this thread,

Cheers,

Pat

• 1 month later...

Hello there,

Here is another of the pieces my grandfather gave to me from his personal souvenirs, a Wehrmacht Officer's cap eagle I believe. He was stationed in Germany in 1944-45 so this late-war zinc model fits in nice with the history. He actually has another one of these with him still, but it is exactly the same as this one. Any further ID and comments are welcome,

Cheers,

Pat

Hi Pat,

Nice piece. Looks like he got this right from the factory or supplies warehouse. Great shape... especially the fold overs on the back. I've seen so many over the years that are missing one, several or all of these.

That was very nice of him to give you this. :jumping::jumping::beer:

Thanks for sharing it. :cheers:

Dan

• 1 month later...

Thanks Dan :beer:

Just picked up this nice Coastal Artillery cloth breast eagle on the weekend to add to my insignia collection (and it will go nicely with my CA belt buckle and CA badge). This one was cut off of a fallen German soldier by a Canadian soldier, and the fellow was very talkative about his time and how he got this eagle, just said he didn't need it anymore and wanted someone who would appreciate it to have it. Not a DKG or anything, but a nice insignia with a good story behind it (and a true one!). It is definitely worn and you can see how it was removed from the tunic pretty clearly. Any comments are great on this eagle or any other topic in this thread (there are a few ;) )

Cheers,

Pat

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings Pat and All,

You have shown us all a very nice Afrikakorps Cap eagle used by the Heer(Army). These BeVo weave insignia were woven in a rectangular patch and the excess was cut and folded behind when it was sewn on. That is a very nice piece.

Your other eagle is a very nice BeVo weave costal artillery eagle. It is more of an earlier style due to the color background. They were used throughout the war.

Here are a couple of DAK eagles I just picked up.

Fred Green

• 4 months later...

Thanks Fred! I was pretty confident on these as the dealer I got them from has always sold me good stuff and they seemed to be of the right quality, so thanks for the confirmation. Still waiting to get a new computer so I can post my recently acquired items (Krimschild, a couple buckles and tinnies etc) but hopefully soon I can be back up full swing, one way or the other.

Cheers,

Pat

• 3 years later...

Here is a small update to this thread, I found a neat Verbandkasten (First Aid Kit) up in Edmonton last year and just remembered to put it up here. It is interesting as it has a swastika painted on it as well as the "VERBANDKASTEN" stencil on it. The swastika has been touched up (field touch up? the scratches indicate there was an original stenciled swastika painted on and then repainted as time went on and it required it.) This kit was brought over by a family of German veterans who fought in Poland. I was told it was from a Tiger Tank but I am not sure on that, not a lot of info out there. It could have came of a regular Wehrmacht army truck for all I can gather. I will post a few pics of the paint to show the details of the swastika and the scratching. The inside is bare, with only the outlines of where the dividers were originally.

Thanks for any info on this one,

Pat

and a larger close-up of the details. You can plainly see the outer arms of the swas have been touched up, but the original stencil remains underneath the scratches and wear. I think this designates it as mid to late war as before that it had the Red Cross symbol on it instead of the swastika. Any ideas out there on this one?

Pat

Edited by Avitas

• 6 months later...

That heer belt buckle, any paint on it anywhere? in any case, yes, the detail is terrible, the buckles coming out of china have more detail, and paint! I have several heer buckles made that way, and from China, the china ones have a lot more detail.

• 3 months later...
    • 10 months later...

Here is a new additon, a nice Wehrmacht belt buckle with a pretty uncommon maker. It is marked C.T.D. 1943 and I have never seen one with this maker. Does anyone else have any by this maker to show? Thanks for any more comments.

Cheers, Pat

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_12_2012/post-1212-0-89959500-1354399340.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_12_2012/post-1212-0-44669400-1354399352.jpg

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the compliments on the buckle, it was a nice example. It only has the metal clasp and no leather tab unfortunately. I have a couple with the leather tabs and they are definitely a nice addition if you can find them.

Pat