News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Otani Women’s Association Merit Badges

TracA

I have begun to branch out into Otani Women’s Association Merit Badges. I would never have known that these beautiful badges existed if it weren’t for JapanX’s wonderful Medals of Asia site. See https://asiamedals.info/threads/otani-womens-association-merit-badges.22933/.

From Wikipedia:

“Ōtani-ha (真宗大谷派, Shinshū Ōtani-ha) is a Japanese Buddhist movement. It belongs to Jōdo Shinshū, also known as Shin Buddhism…The headquarters of Ōtani-ha are in Kyoto, the mother temple is Higashi Honganji. The historic Shōman-ji, Nagoya also belongs to it. Otani University in Kyoto belongs to Ōtani-ha.” (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ōtani-ha).

Although this was sold as a 3rd Class Additional Merit Badge I believe that it’s actually a 3rd Class Merit Badge. Explanation below, although I could be missing something. I always welcome corrections and edification by others. I am merely a novice.

The badge is approximately 30 mm in diameter and silver colored. The obverse is enameled in light blue, green, and red with silver colored un-enameled edging and what could be two smooth leaves at 12h and 6h. The reverse is silver colored, pebbly looking but actually smooth to the touch, with a three row inscription. The ribbon is a purple double bow. The box is made of (balsa?) wood and is 75 mm wide x 80 mm long x 15 mm high.

I hope that you enjoy this simple, but beautiful badge.

Tracy

Obverse with the single inscription which my rudimentary research tells me is best translated as “teachings of Buddha”:

Otani Women's Assoc 3rd Merit Badge Obv.jpg

Reverse pin fastener:

Otani Women's Assoc 3rd Merit Badge Pin.jpg

Reverse inscription in three rows. Note that the kanji are read the traditional way from right to left. First row:     章功有等三 for Third Class Merit Badge. Unless I am missing something, if this were truly an Additional Merit Badge then I would expect to see 附加 in the inscription, like I do for the three classes of the Patriotic Women’s Association Merit Badges with Attachment. Second row:  派谷大宗真 for Otani School of Shinshū (Buddhism). Bottom row: 會話法人婦 for Ladies Buddhist Sermon Association.

Otani Women's Assoc 3rd Merit Badge Rev.jpg

Box lid. The inscription is the same as on the reverse of the badge except that it is in two columns. Again, in the right column I see no kanji (附加) indicating that this an Additional Merit Badge:

Otani Women's Assoc 3rd Merit Badge Lid.jpg

Finally, there is what I take to be a manufacturer’s mark on the top edge of the box. Unfortunately after going through all 10 “pages” I could not locate this mark on Medals of Asia at https://asiamedals.info/threads/marks-and-labels-of-manufacturers-of-japanese-medals-badges-and-watch-fobs.16816/. Anyone know who the manufacturer is?

Otani Women's Assoc 3rd Merit Badge Mkr Mark Edge.jpg

Edited by TracA
    spacing

5 hours ago, TracA said:

Otani Women's Assoc 3rd Merit Badge Mkr Mark Edge.jpg

These ink stamps serve two purposes: help the correct alignment of the lid and the base of the case and (sometimes) indicate the manufacturer of the badge.

The most popular ink stamp  is kanji - fit, joint.

Best,

Nick

Edited by JapanX

2 hours ago, JapanX said:

-

Nick,

Thank you as always. I never thought of the kanji as a way to ensure proper alignment of the lid. Fascinating.

All the best,

Tracy

This is my example of the 1st Class Additional Merit Badge. 

The badge is approximately 30 mm in diameter. The obverse is enameled in olive green, yellow, white, and red with lighter silver colored (1) un-enameled edging and (2) what could be two smooth leaves at 12h and 6h. Above the badge is an attachment 22 mm in diameter in the design of a wreath of leaves (?) enameled olive green, with an enameled white center and lighter silver colored edging. The ribbon is a brownish double bow and on the bottom of the badge hangs a knotted cord of the same color with two tails. The box is wooden (balsa?) and it measures 75 mm wide x 102 mm long x 18 mm high. The top edges are slightly beveled.

Another relatively simple, but beautiful badge.

Tracy

Obverse with the single inscription for “teachings of Buddha”:

Otani 1st Class Addl Merit Badge Obv.jpg

There is a two row inscription on the reverse. Top row: 一等附加有功章 for First Class Additional Merit Badge. Bottom row: 大谷婦人會 for Otani Women’s Association:

Otani 1st Class Addl Merit Badge Rev.jpg

Box lid. The inscription is the same as on the reverse of the badge except that it is in two columns:

Otani 1st Class Addl Merit Badge Lid.jpg

Finally, the alignment stamp (thank you, JapanX!) and possibly a maker’s mark:

Otani 1st Class Addl Merit Badge Stamp.jpg

Edited by TracA

• 5 months later...

I have finally picked-up two more Otani Women’s Association Merit Badges. This one is a Second Class Additional Merit Badge.

The badge is approximately 30 mm in diameter. The obverse is enameled in mustard, green, white, and red with darker silver colored (1) un-enameled edging and (2) what could be two smooth leaves at 12h and 6h. Above the badge is an attachment 15 mm in diameter in the design of a wreath of leaves enameled mustard, with an enameled white center and lighter silver colored edging and leaf veins. The reverse is sandblasted and silver in color, plain with the exception of the inscription. The ribbon is a dark green double bow.

On the obverse is a single kanji inscription of for “Teachings of Buddha”. On the reverse is an inscription in two horizontal rows. The top row is 二等附加有功章 for Second Class Additional Merit Badge and the bottom row is 大谷婦人會 for Otani Women’s Association.

The box is an attractive, simple wooden one with slightly beveled top edges. It is 75 mm wide x 112 mm long x 19 mm high. The inscription is in silver kanji, with a central column of 二等附加有功章 for Second Class Additional Merit Badge and a lower left column of 大谷婦人會 for Otani Women’s Association. On the bottom edge of the lid and base is a purple stamped cherry blossom, at the very least functioning as an alignment marker.

The Second Class Additional Merit Badge is almost identical to the First Class Additional Merit Badge posted above on May 23, 2023. I have to make a correction to that post: the attachment on the First Class Additional Merit Badge is 15 mm wide, not 22 mm as I had originally stated. I really screwed that measurement up.

Tracy

Obverse:

Otani 2nd Addl Merit Obv.jpg

Reverse:

Otani 2nd Addl Merit Rev.jpg

Box lid:

Otani 2nd Addl Merit Badge Box Lid.jpg

Finally, alignment stamp:

Otani 2nd Addl Merit Align Stamp.jpg

The second of the two Otani Women’s Association Merit Badges that I picked-up is the gorgeous Sakura Merit Badge. Most surprising to me, however, was the size of the lacquered case and the kanji on the lid. Oh, and the tiny satin pillow that came with it. I will do my best to describe all of the salient features below. 

It is an impressive looking award in a very impressive case.

Tracy

The badge is approximately 44 mm in diameter and all non-enameled surfaces are gilt, including the two smooth “leaves” pointing up and down at 12h and 6h. The obverse is enameled in white, green, dark red, and purple: purple for the central cherry blossom outline and kanji inside of it; dark red for the three cherry blossoms at 12h, 3h, 6h, and 9h; green for the two leaves between each set of three cherry blossoms; white for the background. Above the badge is an attachment approximately 19 mm wide in the design of a wreath of leaves enameled green and with a physical space between the two halves. On the obverse is a single kanji inscription: for Teachings of Buddha. The reverse is finely sandblasted and gilt with a two row inscription of stylized kanji. The top row is 櫻花有功章 for “Sakura [Cherry Blossom] Merit Badge” and the bottom row is 大谷婦人會 for “Otani Women’s Association”. Finally, the ribbon is a double bow shape, alternating blue and white in the following pattern moving outward toward the edge: 5 mm blue, 5 mm white, 3 mm blue, 5 mm white, 22 mm blue, 5 mm white, 3 mm blue, 5 mm white, 5 mm blue.

The pin on the reverse is, I believe, a lock back pin. 

The impressively large case is lacquered black and approximately 141 mm wide x 219 mm long x 50 mm high. Inside is a purple velour recessed medalbed and a lid liner of white satin. Included is a small satin pillow that is a roughly 73 mm square, I believe to be placed over the badge in the case so that when the lid is closed the badge doesn’t move around. On the lid in gilt are two columns of beautifully stylized, rather large kanji. The center column reads 櫻花有功章 for “Sakura [Cherry Blossom] Merit Badge” and the lower left column reads 大谷婦人會 for “Otani Women’s Association”. Finally, as a first for any closure device that I’ve seen on any lacquered case for a Japanese order or decoration or badge, this case has a heavy duty silver draw type latch. On the latch is etched the name, city, and emblem of the latch manufacturer. More on that below, but I’ll note here that the etchings are upside down when the case is right side up.

The lacquered case came inside a fairly heavy duty white cardboard box with a slipcase cover and a hole on the bottom, I assume for using a finger to push the case up and out of the bottom of the box. On the edge of the slipcase lid is a gray stamped circle around the following kanji: for “cherry” or “cherry blossom”.

Obverse:

Otani Sakura Merit Badge Obv.jpg

Reverse:

Otani Sakura Merit Badge Rev.jpg

The satin pillow:

Otani Sakure Merit Badge Pillow.jpg

Lacquered case lid. Photo taken at an angle in the hopes of minimizing the reflection of the cell phone. Not completely successful, of course. Unfortunately the kanji came out fuzzy, but they are gilt and crisp and clear and beautifully stylized. The top kanji in the central column is 18 mm wide x 20 mm high!

Otani Sakura Merit Badge Case Lid.jpg

The silver draw type latch, as the case is sitting right side up:

Otani Sakura Merit Badge Case Latch.jpg

The draw type latch photographed with the case upside down. Yokoya, manufacturer of locks and metal accessories located in Tokyo. See http://www.yokoyakanagu.com/.

Otani Sakura Merit Badge Latch Maker Stamp.jpg

Edited by TracA
    Spacing

• 2 weeks later...

I’m quickly coming back to the Sakura Merit Badge post above from October 30, 2023 as I forgot to upload a picture of the gray stamped kanji on the side of the heavy duty white cardboard slipcase. Picture below: 桜 for “cherry” or “cherry blossom”.

Otani Sakura Merit Badge Sakura Stamp Box.jpg

• 2 months later...

Recently I’ve obtained two more Otani Women’s Association badges. First up is the 2nd Class Merit Badge.

The badge is approximately 30 mm in diameter. The obverse is enameled in what looks like 

mustard yellow, yellow green, white, and red with darker silver colored (1) un-enameled 

edging and (2) what could be two smooth leaves at 12h and 6h. The double bow ribbon is a shade of green, quite faded on the ends.

The box is constructed of wood (balsa?), and it is 75 mm wide by 75 mm long by 20 mm high. The top edges are slightly beveled. On the lid in silver characters are two columns of kanji. The center column reads 二等有功章 for “Second Class Merit Badge”. The left column starts at a line below the bottom of the second kanji in the central column, and reads 大谷婦人會 for “Otani Women’s Association”. Instead of a medalbed, placed on the bottom of the box is a square of cardboard with the top wrapped in what looks to be white contact paper. 

On the obverse is the character for “Teachings of Buddha”. On the reverse is a horizontal two line inscription. The top row is 二等有功章 (with the third kanji a bit stylized) for “Second Class Additional Merit Badge” and the bottom row, in seal/fancy script, is 大谷婦人會 for “Otani Women’s Association”. 

There is no purple ink stamp on any of the four sides of the box.

I hope that you enjoy this simple badge.

Tracy

Obverse:

Otani Women's Assoc 2nd Class Merit Badge Obv.jpg

Reverse:

Otani Women's Assoc 2nd Class Merit Badge Rev.jpg

Box lid:

Otani Women's Assoc 2nd Class Merit Badge Box Lid.jpg

Greetings,

This is the second of the two Otani Women’s Association badges that I referenced above in my January 23 post. I thought that it was the Cherry Blossom Merit Badge, but now I’m not so sure (see below).

The badge is 55 mm in diameter, and the attachment is 18 mm wide by 33 mm high to the top of the attached ring. Both are 3 mm thick. The obverse is enameled in white, deep red, blue, dark green, and light blue for the center of . All non-enameled surfaces, including the edges of the badge and the attachment, are gilt. The gilt reverse has a finely sandblasted look. 

The ribbon is a double bow shape, alternating red and white in the following pattern moving from edge to edge: 10 mm red, 2 mm white, 3 mm red, 2 mm white, 3 mm red, 17 mm white, 3 mm red, 2 mm white, 3 mm red, 2 mm white, 10 mm red. There is a pin on the back of the double bow ribbon for fastening the badge onto clothing, but there is also a 35 mm wide by 46 cm long ribbon that fastens to the back of the double bow ribbon so that the entire badge can be worn hanging low from around the neck. This ribbon is not a cravate. The neck ribbon has alternating stripes of light, almost orange red and white in the following pattern: 4 mm red, 3 mm white, 1 mm red, 2 mm white, 1 mm red, 2 mm white, 1 mm red, 7 mm white, 1 mm red, 2 mm white, 1 mm red, 2 mm white, 1 mm red, 3 mm white, and 4 mm red.

Like the other Otani Women’s Association badges about which I’ve posted the obverse has a simple one kanji inscription: , for “Teachings of Buddha”. The reverse inscription on the badge is in two horizontal rows of stylized kanji. The top row is 菫花有功章 and the bottom row is 大谷婦人會. This is where I’m confused, as I thought that this was a Cherry Blossom Merit Badge but I believe that the first character of the top row inscription is which means “violet”, as in the flower. Thus the two lines together would be “Violet Blossom Merit Badge” and “Otani Women’s Association”.

The case is nicely lacquered and approximately 220 mm long by 140 mm wide by 45 mm high. The medalbed is dark purple and recessed for both the badge and the ribbon. The lid liner is white satin. On the lid in gilt are two columns of beautifully stylized, rather large kanji. The center column reads 菫花有功章 and the lower left column reads 大谷婦人會. Again, just like the reverse inscription on the badge this is “Violet Blossom Merit Badge” and “Otani Women’s Association”.

As stated above, I’m confused as I thought this to be a Cherry Blossom Merit Badge but now I’m thinking that the correct name is Violet Blossom Merit Badge. Truth be told, to me the badge design neither looks like a cherry or a violet blossom, firstly because such blossoms have five petals and this badge looks like it has six. 

Either way, it is a beautiful badge with a beautiful lacquered case and a very nice latch design. I hope that you enjoy it.

Tracy

Obverse:

Otani Cherry Blossom Badge Obv.jpg

Reverse:

Otani Cherry Blossom Badge Rev.jpg

Neck ribbon:

Otani Cherry Blossom Badge Neck Loop.jpg

Close-up of the fastening edge of the neck ribbon; lovely design work:

Otani Cherry Blossom Badge Neck Loop End.jpg

Case lid:

Otani Cherry Blossom Badge Case Lid.jpg

Nicely detailed latch:

Otani Cherry Blossom Badge Case Latch.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings,

To quote Monty Python: “and now for something completely different”. Well, it’s not really completely different. It’s just different. This post is not about an Otani merit badge, but rather a document about the criteria for the receipt of Otani merit badges. This document was included with the Violet Blossom Merit Badge that I obtained, tucked inside the cardboard box in which the lacquered case was housed. 

Translating this document was not easy for me and without the wonders of Google Docs and the Internet it would not have been possible. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of my translation, but I believe that I have come pretty close. Below will be a summary of the document followed by a question with respect to a single kanji that I encountered. Following that will be a picture of the document itself.

I thought it odd that the document merely mentioned that the 2nd Class was broken down into two ranks, rather than covering the 2nd Class Additional and 2nd Class like was done for the 1st Class, and then only references the 2nd Class and not the 2nd Class Additional. Also, the document does not mention the 3rd Class and 3rd Class Additional. However, these rules were implemented in 1963. Well, that is at least when they are dated. Perhaps the 2nd Class Additional and 3rd Classes did not exist at that time and they were later additions?

I am using the terms “medal” and “badge” interchangeably here, although perhaps I should not do so.

I hope that some of you will find this post useful.

All the best,

Tracy

The document is organized into five articles and 10 paragraphs, and for ease I broke it down into 30 distinct columns. The title is “Otani Women's Association Medal of Merit Regulations”, implemented on April 1, 1963 (Showa 38), and promulgated by the Otani Women’s Association Headquarters Office. The regulations start out with the statement that medals of merit are awarded for both outstanding achievements as well as donations of membership funds. The highest referenced achievement is termed “remarkable” and all subsequent references to achievement simply state and restate “secondary to the preceding paragraph”. So, the type of achievement necessary for each medal is not defined. For each medal, however, the dollar amount of the donation is defined. What I found most surprising was the statement in Article 4 (column 26) that when recipients of a merit medal are promoted through the ranks, previously received medals of merit shall be returned. The tiers are as follows:

The Antique Blossom Medal of Merit (see below): remarkable achievements or a donation of 80,000 Yen or more.

The Chrysanthemum Blossom Medal of Merit: achievements secondary to the preceding or a donation of 50,000 Yen or more.

The Cherry Blossom Medal of Merit: achievements secondary to the preceding or a donation of 30,000 Yen or more.

The Exceptional Honor Medal of Merit: achievements secondary to the preceding or a donation of 15,000 Yen or more.

The Special Honor Medal of Merit: achievements secondary to the preceding or a donation of 10,000 Yen or more.

The Exceptional Medal of Merit: achievements secondary to the preceding or a donation of 7,000 Yen or more.

The Special Medal of Merit: achievements secondary to the preceding or a donation of 5,000 Yen or more.

The First Class Additional Medal of Merit: achievements secondary to the preceding or a donation of 3,000 Yen or more.

The First Class Medal of Merit: achievements secondary to the preceding or a donation of 2,000 Yen or more.

The Second Class Medal of Merit: achievements secondary to the preceding or a donation of 1,000 Yen or more.

In the beginning my eyes “saw” 菫花 for “Violet Blossom” when the first medal was referenced, but upon further examination it appears clear to me that the first kanji is actually , so that the highest medal referenced is actually 董花 for “Antique Blossom”. Am I missing something here? Perhaps at one time there was a medal known as the Antique Blossom, and it was replaced by the Violet Blossom? I have been to the Association’s website. Perhaps I should just email them my questions. See below, and note that the second reference is to the Chrysanthemum Blossom medal:

Otani Medals of Merit Rules For Award Kanji Closeup.jpg

Finally, the document itself:

Otani Medals of Merit Rules For Awarding.jpg

A little addendum to my post above from February 11, regarding my surprise that Article 4 of the Otani Medal of Merit Regulations document stated that when recipients of a merit medal are promoted through the ranks, previously received medals of merit shall be returned.

While reading Nick Komiya’s thread “On the Story of the Order of the Golden Kite” on the War Relics Forum I was struck by post #26 in which he discussed Imperial Edict 38, March 21 of 1889. Here it was decreed that recipients could only have one rank of the Order of the Rising Sun or Sacred Treasure or Golden Kite at a time. So, for example, receipt of the OST 3rd Class necessitated returning the OST 4th Class previously received (within two weeks time if the recipient lived in Tokyo and within 30 days if the recipient lived elsewhere). Nick Komiya also mentions that this practice was not uncommon throughout Europe, although he notes one difference: in Japan if the recipient died, then the family could officially keep the order instead of having to return it. He states that this requirement, for the ORS and OST, was in place until October 1, 1973.

Putting together the fact that the Otani Medal of Merit Regulations document was implemented in 1963 with what I learned and summarized above, then it should be no surprise to me that recipients of Otani Medals of Merit were required to return the previously awarded Medal of Merit upon receipt of the next highest award. It was simply following standard practice.

I still have so much to learn.

Tracy

Edited by TracA
    Addition of surname

5 hours ago, TracA said:

Here it was decreed that recipients could only have one rank of the Order of the Rising Sun or Sacred Treasure or Golden Kite at a time. So, for example, receipt of the OST 3rd Class necessitated returning the OST 4th Class previously received

It makes sense that if it a ‘rank’ then you can’t have two but to not let them keep the old medal 🤷‍♂️ That seems a bit harsh!
    Glad they dropped that rule.

BTW You said you have a lot to learn but once again you put together a very interesting post. I find when I ‘write’ things they stay in my head a bit better, if you’re picking up even just a fraction of the details you share, you are well on your way in a tough field to get into. 👍

cheers

tony 🍻

Dear Gentlemen,

BTW You said you have a lot to learn but once again you put together a very interesting post. I find when I ‘write’ things they stay in my head a bit better, if you’re picking up even just a fraction of the details you share, you are well on your way in a tough field to get into. 👍"

I concur with Farkas. I couldn't convey it better.

Yours sincerely,

No one

Tony and No One,

Thank you both for the kind words. I most certainly have to write things down as it helps organize and refine my thoughts. It also has the bonus of helping me remember stuff that I’ve learned/read and tried to absorb. 

All the best,

Tracy