News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

How were Police Hangers carried?

I have received a late 19th Century City of London Police Inspectors uniform, together with a  strange belt, supposedly used to carry the Hanger.

image.jpeg.d7b17322c5e01822dfcaa169178117d5.jpeg

The belt appears to be the same age as the uniform from the leatherwork, but the belt support loops would mean the Hanger was carried on the right side, not the left.

image.jpeg.c05e95afe478235f8f4ed617b4ea4589.jpeg

I have never come across a soft cloth belt for carrying a sword/hanger before and I suspect that the belt is probably for a dress sword of some sort and the two piece "cross belt" are actually the two different length straps which would attach a sword to the belt.

image.jpeg.1b4416b7c6b411a18918360041ad235c.jpeg

Does anyone know anything about swords, police hangers and their carrying belts, who could offer some insight into what it is that I actually have please?

The uniform tunic, which is a "frock coat" style working rather than dress uniform, has no wear marks to suggest that the wearer ever wore a belt of any kind with it.

The only photographs I have of police wearing hangers show leather belts and my enquiry with the CoLP was not answered because their museum has now closed.

ERC Contingent  Colliary strike 1893.jpg

The "cloth" part of the belt was hidden from view beneath the tunic. The leather straps were allowed to protrude from the "slit" in the tunic waist and hang down. It is not a cross belt. The sword could be carried on either side of the tunic. It was the wearers preference, his tunic being tailored accordingly. Looking at the weapon, I'd suggest that it is not intended to to go with the tunic or belt and is probably a "marriage" having been added to the ensemble at some point.  

Dave.

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

2 hours ago, Dave Wilkinson said:

The "cloth" part of the belt was hidden from view beneath the tunic. The leather straps were allowed to protrude from the "slit" in the tunic waist and hang down. It is not a cross belt. The sword could be carried on either side of the tunic. It was the wearers preference, his tunic being tailored accordingly. Looking at the weapon, I'd suggest that it is not intended to to go with the tunic or belt and is probably a "marriage" having been added to the ensemble at some point.  

Dave.

Thank you.  There are no "slits" in the tunic and my thoughts re the same that the two elements have been brought together rather than ever having been paired properly.