News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Austro Hungarian metal plaque

WJT

I came across this plaque many years ago from Italy. It was said to be found in a shipyard that had scrapped AH submarines after WW1. It was also said that the plaque was removed from an AH conning tower. Stories are always good but history is better. Might anyone know about a plaque like this. it is 10 inches tall, very heavy metal. Thanks if you can

Regards

Bill

plaque-back.jpg

plaque-front.jpg

2 hours ago, WJT said:

I came across this plaque many years ago from Italy. It was said to be found in a shipyard that had scrapped AH submarines after WW1. It was also said that the plaque was removed from an AH conning tower. Stories are always good but history is better. Might anyone know about a plaque like this. it is 10 inches tall, very heavy metal. Thanks if you can

Regards

Bill

plaque-back.jpg

plaque-front.jpg

Very interesting plate Congrats

On 04/09/2023 at 00:15, WJT said:

Regards

Bill

plaque-back.jpg

plaque-front.jpg

Lovely thing Bill,

the details on the front are so crisp.

Just checking- is it in one piece?

Have you tried to decipher the marking on the back? Could be a date or something more helpful..,

tony 🍻

The piece is one piece and very heavy, very industrial.

there two studs that we cut off. I looked for some significance to the J2 over 25 but have not found any. Thought it might be a date too but the date dos not connect to anything.

Thanks for the questions

Bill

On 06/09/2023 at 23:01, WJT said:

there two studs that we cut off. I looked for some significance to the J2 over 25 but have not found any. Thought it might be a date too but the date dos not connect to anything.

Thanks for the questions

Bill

👍👍.

Hi Bill,

re the back… i agree it seems a date seems unlikely, I think if it was a date then J2 isn’t really enough as it could be any one of jan, jun, July. & 1925 is a later date than you’d expect for an AH item. 

Also yes it clearly a ‘solid’ quality piece.

Sadly I can’t find anything relevant to help.

Last thought… If it wasn’t on a sub or boat maybe it was on a building? The curve perhaps for fitting to a pillar/column. 🤷‍♂️

best wishes 

tony 🍻

• 2 weeks later...
    On 06/09/2023 at 23:01, WJT said:

Thanks for the questions

Bill

i’ve just spotted this 👇

CDEFC7F1-C68C-4BAA-9F9F-4F1F0C62FF88.thumb.jpeg.1f066b0ad95dda5d0ae91dfb01f9929b.jpeg

it’s described as likely coming off a train, an old steam engine I presume from the date…

Nowhere near as sharp looking as yours but the similarities make it worth a mention.

1020D240-CE16-472C-876D-067E9F5C5AB1.thumb.jpeg.17ee8197534f164048f54c4231405b1a.jpeg

D5C3B7A2-6686-4C47-BA41-3A2CCCF26A8D.jpeg.fb2ac528e663bb38c2e92564796258ec.jpeg

cheers

tony 🍻