News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Crosses in exces: the story of G.A.W. ter Pelkwijk

Dear fellow collectors,

I was recently able to purchase the Commandeurskruis (commander's cross) of the Order of Orange-Nassau awarded to the Dutch mayor Gerard Abraham Willem ter Pelkwijk. I was aware at the moment of purchase that this piece had belonged to a large group containing amongst others five different European orders together with six Dutch orders, two medals, miniatures, books and other documents. It came from the former collection of Frans Riemersma. This grouping was sold on 13 januari 2022. After the auction it was split up and sold separately. I want to know whether anyone is aware where some of the pieces have ended. Attached you will find a picture of the piece now in my collection (recognisable by the red velvet in the crown), a picture of the grouping at auction and a picture of Ter Pelkwijk himself.

Kind regards and thanks in advance, Laurens Stroek

Screenshot_20230911_205314_Gallery.jpg

260px-Pelkwijk.jpg

Screenshot_20230911_205306_Gallery.jpg

Edited by laurentius

21 minutes ago, laurentius said:

Dear fellow collectors,

I was recently able to purchase the Commandeurskruis (commander's cross) of the Order of Orange-Nassau awarded to the Dutch mayor Gerard Abraham Willem ter Pelkwijk. I was aware at the moment of purchase that this piece had belonged to a large group containing amongst others five different European orders together with six Dutch orders, two medals, miniatures, books and other documents. It came from the former collection of Frans Riemersma. This grouping was sold on 13 januari 2022. After the auction it was split up and sold separately. I want to know whether anyone is aware where some of the pieces have ended. I also wonder about a number of the award dates.

-Date of award of his Order of the Oak Crown (Luxemburg), the Dutch chancellary of orders has it written down as 16-05-1914.

-Date of award of his Legion D'Honneur (France), the Dutch chancellary of orders has it written down as 10-10-1914.

-Date of award of his Order of the Northstar (Sweden), the Dutch chancellary of orders has it written down as 25-01-1923.

-Date of award of his Order of St. Olaf (Norway).

-Date of award of his Order of Orange-Nassau (Netherlands, he recieved the Officier's cross somewhere in 1923 for organising the silver jubilee of Queen Wilhelmina, recipient number 3223).

-Date of award of his Order of the Star (Romania), the Dutch chancellary of orders has it written down as 11-09-1930.

-Date of award of his Red Cross Decoration (Netherlands).

-Date of award of his House Order of Orange (visible on his pictures in 1938, so the date of award is 1938 or before).

-Date of award of his Order of the Netherlands Lion (Netherlands). The Dutch chancellary of orders has him written down as the 9792th recipient.

-Date of award of his House Order of Orange (commander's cross).

-Date of award of his Order of Orange-Nassau (Netherlands), commander's cross, awarded in 1948 with recipient number 3417.

As you can see I have been able to figure out some information about him but his history is like a Swiss cheese, full of holes. Any help would be appreciated. I will attach some pictures in the hope that someone may recognize the decorations. Attached you will find a picture of the piece now in my collection (recognisable by the red velvet in the crown), a picture of the grouping at auction and a picture of Ter Pelkwijk himself.

Kind regards and thanks in advance, Laurens Stroek

Screenshot_20230911_205314_Gallery.jpg

260px-Pelkwijk.jpg

Screenshot_20230911_205306_Gallery.jpg

I remember seeing that group for sale at auction. 

Here is his entry in the award roll of the Order of the North Star. March 2nd 1923.

image.thumb.png.24aeb18f9c6a143338b985ea8001f968.png

11 hours ago, JohanH said:

March 2nd 1923.

That is early. His certificate of award says 15-06-1923 whilst the note in the documents of the Dutch chancellary of orders has it written down on 25-01-1923. Do you know why this might be?

1 hour ago, laurentius said:

That is early. His certificate of award says 15-06-1923 whilst the note in the documents of the Dutch chancellary of orders has it written down on 25-01-1923. Do you know why this might be?

See the Bulgarian document in this topic. 

the different dates could be when the king decided to give the order (date in the roll), the date of the award ceremony or the date of approval from the Dutch government. 

January 25th must be a typo, since the king made the decision in march.