News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Question about Cross of St George.

Farkas

Hi Gents,

i’m hoping for an opinion on this 👇

F277BBFA-16C0-413B-BEBB-66186CB28805.thumb.jpeg.5574c3ca8ab7f4033a7e25f569b9bb28.jpeg

6BD22A5E-5F5C-4871-AD0E-B238FEFD1D7E.thumb.jpeg.6df06a756461bdc92f9758a342424aaa.jpeg

it is being treated as a copy, understandably, as even i know now that these should have an ‘issue’ number stamped on them and this doesn’t.

However I understand that it was bought a while back so has at least  some age to it and the ribbon looks like it has too.  

The pin backing not so much.

This isn’t my usual thing...

so i’m hoping to find out how old the ribbon is? and whether the cross could be a legitimately issued replacement or a spare to wear in case of loss  🤷‍♂️ 

If it is an insulting poor fake, I apologise in advance!!

thanks Gents,

tony 🍻

Try this website: http://medalirus.ru/georgievskie-kresty/ . It might help.  

The main problem is that there about a thousand variations of the the George Cross and it's hard to tell where the legit variations end and the BS copies begin.

Back in the day, during my brief foray into Imperial Russian awards, I registered with a couple of the bigger Russian language forums and posted there.  And I got some help, so good luck mate!

1 hour ago, Eric Gaumann said:

The main problem is that there about a thousand variations of the the George Cross and it's hard to tell where the legit variations end and the BS copies begin.

Back in the day, during my brief foray into Imperial Russian awards, I registered with a couple of the bigger Russian language forums and posted there.  And I got some help, so good luck mate!

Thanks Eric 👍👍

On 13/09/2023 at 03:05, Farkas said:

it is being treated as a copy, understandably, as even i know now that these should have an ‘issue’ number stamped on them and this doesn’t. 

This is a privately commissioned cross. Looks like it was made in Moscow by unidentified manufacturer "Н.Д" in white metal sometime around 1916/1917.

Regarding the absence of number and class 

On 13/09/2023 at 03:05, Farkas said:

so i’m hoping to find out how old the ribbon is?

Ribbon bar and ribbon have nothing to do with Imperial Russia. Most likely both were taken from the soviet medal.

Edited by JapanX

On 20/09/2023 at 11:42, Eric Gaumann said:

On 21/09/2023 at 00:33, JapanX said:

This is a privately commissioned cross. Looks like it was made in Moscow by unidentified manufacturer "Н.Д" in white metal sometime around 1916/1917.

Regarding the absence of number and class 

Ribbon bar and ribbon have nothing to do with Imperial Russia. Most likely both were taken from the soviet medal.

thank you both for your help 👍

I just checked what price it went for…

someone got it for £10.

Wsh I’d had a little punt at that price. 

Cheers 

tony 🍻