News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

EK2 Ostmedaille Pair to a KIA

Nice simple pair of an Iron Cross 2nd Class with document and same for the Ostmedaille. I don't collect much in the way of German material, much less Third Reich material for a number of reasons, but I do like to have a few identifiable examples that come with paperwork.

Upgrading to Ancestry worldwide paid off within minutes after searching the German casualty roll for WW2.

Friedrich THURAU, born 1911 in Klein Fredenbeck Stade, was killed in action at Beschkovo, Poland, on 9 February 1944 whilst still serving with the 158 Pioneer Battalion, but was by then an Obergefreiter. Cause of death listed as 'Gefallen. A G. K', which I believe means killed after receiving a head injury from artillery (although I stand to be corrected). 

No idea if he had any other awards - I would think a General Assault Badge at a minimum; perhaps a wound badge or two? I also assume he (well, his family) must have also received a gold wound badge.

iron cross.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Did this come direct from the family to you without any middlemen? If not then it is highly likely that the actual awards were added to the paperwork to increase the profit for the seller which happens a lot.

Nice little set of paperwork though with the EK citation signed by Dr Friedrich Altrichter who died in a Russia PoW camp in 1948/49. Part of his card file in Bundesarchiv (PERS 6/299316)

PERS_6_299316_0003.thumb.jpg.190bc5751aa46b95d64e7b4591b00fad.jpgPERS_6_299316_0004.thumb.jpg.8fdfafdd45069551e8f41d29c1e156e7.jpgPERS_6_299316_0009.thumb.jpg.8e6152378d5780b1d0ec39ce39cb8d08.jpg

For others, here is Thurau's casualty card. Unfortunately, it looks like he is not listed in the Volksbund so his body has never been recovered and is currently not listed or updated in their database.

48724_6907_0275-00947.thumb.jpg.744c9fe5157c46bd518fdb8f7e62d6f9.jpg

This is a section of the German situation map for the HG Nord frontline just three days before he died with 58.Infanterie-Division bottom left (courtesy of Lexikon der Wehrmacht).

06-02-1944.thumb.jpg.363814ba461f398c94a6b615463ad160.jpg.

Hi Hucks

Thanks very much for the information about Thurau and his unit and also for checking the German database. I am assuming they were pretty much being used as infantry for much of this period. Would you have any idea what 158 were doing specifically around the time he won his EK2?

They were very much an 'example of' rather than a collecting theme. I always work under the assumption that unnamed awards with paperwork have probably been paired up after so many years, at some point along the line. I'm not a Third Reich militaria expert - although I have a working knowledge and have handled plenty of German stuff over the years - but I am aware of the huge issues with very good fakes on the market, so as long as all are original items I'm happy enough. I am assuming there is probably a wound badge certificate at a minimum out there too (assuming he'd sent these award documents home for safekeeping).

Interesting to see that both qualified for/received the Ostmedaille within days of each other.

Thanks 

Richard

Edited by Rich