News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Info re: Cross of Kara-Geroge 1st Class Gold Star w/swords medal

Hello, 

I stumbled across this site/forum and I am hoping someone may be able to help.

I am looking for information about the above medal/citation.

My grandfather, Sgt. Henry Desmond #72217 Unit B/115 Brigade RFA was awarded this medal for his actions at Salonika in 1918. It is possible he served with the 26th Division for the whole war and they did brief service in France in 1915 before proceeding to Salonika.

The decree was issued on July 16, 1918 by the Minister of Defence file # 47901 but I am confused/uncertain what date his actions would have caused him to earn such a medal. He officially received the medal/citation on January 23, 1921 in Belgrade.

I am looking for information as to why he would have been awarded this medal.

The only thing he would tell my father was "someone took my horse and I went and got it back" he did not discuss it in any further detail.

When I came across this site, I happened to see a post from January 29, 2015 and a member (Paja) indicated they found a book “Knights of the Star of KaraA’orAe with Swords” by Tomislav VlahoviA and the member translated/posted the names from this book my grandfather was listed in the book. I just don't know what happened.

I have information his place of enlistment was Royal Field Artillery (E. Dulwich S.E.) Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry (Swindon).

It is entirely possible information I am looking for is in fire-damaged records in London unfortunately.

My father had the original citation translated (he also has the medal) and we believe it was done correctly, but it does not specify what he did. My father spent many years off and on trying to find out why this medal was awarded but he was unsuccessful.  He has since passed away and I am trying to do this in his memory and so I can share it with my mother.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. ( I have included pictures of what I found on the post on this site from 2015).

Dana

IMG_8972.jpeg

IMG_8974.jpeg

IMG_8973.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
    On 26/11/2023 at 14:39, DLE said:

Hello, 

I stumbled across this site/forum and I am hoping someone may be able to help.

I am looking for information about the above medal/citation.

My grandfather, Sgt. Henry Desmond #72217 Unit B/115 Brigade RFA was awarded this medal for his actions at Salonika in 1918. It is possible he served with the 26th Division for the whole war and they did brief service in France in 1915 before proceeding to Salonika.

The decree was issued on July 16, 1918 by the Minister of Defence file # 47901 but I am confused/uncertain what date his actions would have caused him to earn such a medal. He officially received the medal/citation on January 23, 1921 in Belgrade.

I am looking for information as to why he would have been awarded this medal.

The only thing he would tell my father was "someone took my horse and I went and got it back" he did not discuss it in any further detail.

When I came across this site, I happened to see a post from January 29, 2015 and a member (Paja) indicated they found a book “Knights of the Star of KaraA’orAe with Swords” by Tomislav VlahoviA and the member translated/posted the names from this book my grandfather was listed in the book. I just don't know what happened.

I have information his place of enlistment was Royal Field Artillery (E. Dulwich S.E.) Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry (Swindon).

It is entirely possible information I am looking for is in fire-damaged records in London unfortunately.

My father had the original citation translated (he also has the medal) and we believe it was done correctly, but it does not specify what he did. My father spent many years off and on trying to find out why this medal was awarded but he was unsuccessful.  He has since passed away and I am trying to do this in his memory and so I can share it with my mother.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. ( I have included pictures of what I found on the post on this site from 2015).

Dana

IMG_8972.jpeg

IMG_8974.jpeg

IMG_8973.jpeg

Hello Dana,

it’s good to see you continuing the search.

I haven’t got the answer but I have a little bit I can add that may help… This is his Medal roll/records from ww1, they are held at the national archives.

7A687F9D-7ADC-40C4-B1C1-35C1625469ED.thumb.jpeg.5a821abc05f9451b8bb8f9759cfab0ec.jpeg

F5AAE725-A173-4749-8A5F-DA2D8489D9F6.thumb.png.26fabda8c993f936d356688e5bdad3b3.png

They list him as Gunner and show his unit as RFA 345B which is a different unit (I presume) he must have served with earlier. Perhaps that will change the possible location he was serving in at the time?  I’m not too familiar with the RFA set up but I hope this helps a little 

Best Wishes

tony 🍻

• 2 months later...

Hi Tony

Thank you, I did find those records as well.

I was also able to purchase a book "Under the Devil's Eye" by Alan Wakefield & Simon Moody which is about the British military experience in Macedonia 1915-1918.  I have yet to read it but am hoping it may shed some light on things. 

And I never thought to look up the different units, so thank you for that as well and my apologies for such a delay in a response.  

Dana

I have found this as well on the war records on Ancestry...I do not know what all the notations/abbreviations mean.  And I do not know what "entitled to the Emblem" means??

I have also included a copy of the actual citation if this helps to shed some light on what this medal was for or why it was issued.

IMG_9881.jpg

Record.pdf

On 17/03/2024 at 20:44, DLE said:

I have found this as well on the war records on Ancestry...I do not know what all the notations/abbreviations mean.  And I do not know what "entitled to the Emblem" means??

I have also included a copy of the actual citation if this helps to shed some light on what this medal was for or why it was issued.

Is there any way you can get more detailed photos of this decree? Especially the part I marked because it may hide some information. It's impossible to read it with this resolution.

IMG_9881.jpg.6c61b6837ec198c0154dac0a823e5e28.jpg.007f763a7d4a08dbc496a3dd5ced74a3.jpg

On 23/03/2024 at 11:14, BalkanCollector said:

Is there any way you can get more detailed photos of this decree? Especially the part I marked because it may hide some information. It's impossible to read it with this resolution.

IMG_9881.jpg.6c61b6837ec198c0154dac0a823e5e28.jpg.007f763a7d4a08dbc496a3dd5ced74a3.jpg

Thanks for the interest, don’t go anywhere, I’ll be back asap !!   🍻

On 23/03/2024 at 11:14, BalkanCollector said:

Hi BalkanCollector,

I’ve just checked, DLE hasn’t been back on since your reply, hopefully will soon though - fingers crossed,

I’ll give you a nudge if/when..,,

tony 🍻