News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My First 1870 EK II

Greetings,

About 22 years ago after having a discussion with a dealer at a local military medal show I swore I’d never buy another EK. Not that I had many: within that year I had purchased a 1939 First Class and Second Class Spange, and besides those I only had a single example of First and Second Class medals from WWI and WWII which I didn’t even buy. Each of those were purchased for me, at separate times, by my mother sometime in the early 80s at flea markets in either FL or NJ. She knew I had a keen interest in military medals. Anyway, the dealer and I were discussing fakes and their proliferation and I simply decided that the EK was a minefield and like all minefields, best to steer clear of. However, my desire for an 1870 EK was never extinguished. 

That flame was rekindled about a month ago. After spending a couple of days reading through, and doing word searches on, the numerous topics on this forum, and studying Estelmann’s “Reflections on the 1870 Iron Cross…” (reference to which I found on this forum) I decided to finally fan the flames and purchase an 1870 EK II with 25th Jubilee Oak Leaves.

I did my best to weigh just the cross itself, which came in at 16.5g. When putting all of it on the scale the weight was 19.1g. As you will see below, the frame has separated at the right top and down the entire right edge of the 12h arm with minor separation approximately halfway across the top of the 3h arm, and this separation includes a break to the ring. So, getting accurate dimensions took a bit of work. From the bottom left of the 9h arm to the bottom right of the 3h arm is 41.05mm, and from the top left edge of the 12h arm to the bottom left edge of the 6h arm is 41.5mm. The 25th jubilee oak leaves are approximately 25mm wide by 18mm high. 

I believe this 1870 EK II to be an example of a Type A core. Going out on a limb here, but I dare say an award period piece? After going through Komtur’s November 18, 2013 post on this forum regarding oak leaves to the 1870 EK II, I believe them to be an example of Variant 2. 

Although there is some damage to the obverse crown (almost as if it was struck and a tad bit flattened) I do not believe this cross is a 9th Bead Fake or an example of a Latvian Fake, but in all honesty I am merely a babe in the woods when it comes to this subject matter. Therefore, any and all comments/judgements are welcome.

Thanks.

Tracy

Obverse:

USE 1870 EK II Obv x 3.jpg

Reverse:

USE 1870 EK II Rev x 3.jpg

Obverse crown:

USE 1870 EK II Obv Crown x 10.jpg

W and 1870:

USE 1870 EK II W and 1870 x 10.jpg

Reverse detail:

USE 1870 EK II 1813 Oak Leaves FW Crown x 10.jpg

Seam split and ring break:

USE 1870 EK II Seam Split and Ring Break.jpg

Good seam on the front edge of the 3h arm:

USE 1870 EK II Seam Good Front Edge 3h x 10.jpg

Oak leaves, Variant 2:

USE 1870 EK II 25th Jubliee Oak Leaves Variant 2.jpg

Congratulations on acquiring what to my mind is a nice example of what you have coveted for so long. It has a story to tell - I like it a lot. Minefield ? Yes of course, but we all learn to tread most carefully and keep ourselves well-informed through reading reliable reference works and consulting forums such as this. Good hunting in future.

Good Morning! Looks like a nice original piece to me, the slightly tilted frame is consistent with original examples I have owned. The oakleaves look spot on too. Nice original ribbon as well! Congratulations!!

Peter and Stogieman,

Thank you both for your replies. I have to admit that I was pretty sure that my 1870 EK II wasn’t a fake, but like I stated, I’m very much a novice in this area of collecting. I certainly plan to expand my knowledge by consulting forums and printed/reliable website references.

Speaking of references, I own Williamson’s The Iron Cross: A History 1813 - 1957, Ailsby’s A Collector’s Guide To World War 2 German Medals, and recently picked-up Previtera’s The Iron Time (first edition, as I couldn’t find a second edition).

Although they are probably dated, in your opinions is it still worth owning Bowen’s The Prussian And German Iron Cross and Prowse’s The Iron Cross Of Prussia And Germany?

Thank you kindly,

Tracy

As I am only interested in Imperial crosses I ditched my copy of Williamson some time ago and now rely almost exclusively on Bowen's The Prussian and German Iron Cross (1986), Heyde's Preussen-Sammlung Max Aurich (1980), and Wernitz & Simon's Das Eiserne Kreuz 1813 - 1870 - 1914 (2 vols 2013). I would recommend all three.

• 2 weeks later...