News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help Identifying Irish Regiment Photo c. 1890

Hi Robbo,

I’ve had a look through the original post which has good facts 👍

My tuppence worth is to focus on the ribbon worn on the rear of the collar.

As a Welshman I know the Royal Welsh Fusiliers wear one. I just read that it represents a ponytail that was traditionally worn or something like that.

Though I don’t know of others that did/do if this is not the RWF it appears from the photo some did/do.

There is a fusiliers connection with the Connaught Rangers.

There was also the RDF 👇

A7043171-195F-487D-86D8-4D418708743C.thumb.jpeg.7358e351af4e297fa3db96d13e37c79d.jpeg
    This came up too, similar shape design but I’m not sure if it is RDF.

361C8AC8-AD7D-4258-930A-FAD1C0D54F12.thumb.jpeg.fd3a760ac26e194d7509b50b896e9602.jpeg

This is an RWF glengarry badge 👇

6854C526-AE2A-4C79-886F-D898067E7743.thumb.jpeg.3a5b931166568a1905aaeac181dcf7ab.jpeg

In 1871 then 1881 and there were big changes in structure and uniforms of the British army, with tweaks made for the rest of Queen Victorias reign ( to 1902)

As will all unwelcome/unnecessary change especially, there was some push back and it took time.

Men that purchased their own uniforms and that was particularly noticeable amongst militias didn’t hurry to adopt the changes. Historic badges/buttons were retained and used out of place by men and officers alike, collar badges on caps or old buttons on mess dress for example.

For now , If pushed, I’d say your man is a fusilier and, without me knowing others with the ribbon, that he is in a Royal Welsh Fusiliers uniform. I’d then have to guess that if they are not simply ‘hard to make out’ RWF badges then the collar badges are his from ‘before’ ie he served in a unit amalgamated into RWF or disbanded.

I’ve underlined all the if’s because with some Gent on here letting us know other units with the ribbon, and I bet there is… it’s all change 🤷‍♂️

tony 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🇬🇧

22 hours ago, Farkas said:

Hi Robbo,

I’ve had a look through the original post which has good facts 👍

My tuppence worth is to focus on the ribbon worn on the rear of the collar.

As a Welshman I know the Royal Welsh Fusiliers wear one. I just read that it represents a ponytail that was traditionally worn or something like that.

Though I don’t know of others that did/do if this is not the RWF it appears from the photo some did/do.

There is a fusiliers connection with the Connaught Rangers.

There was also the RDF 👇

A7043171-195F-487D-86D8-4D418708743C.thumb.jpeg.7358e351af4e297fa3db96d13e37c79d.jpeg
    This came up too, similar shape design but I’m not sure if it is RDF.

361C8AC8-AD7D-4258-930A-FAD1C0D54F12.thumb.jpeg.fd3a760ac26e194d7509b50b896e9602.jpeg

This is an RWF glengarry badge 👇

6854C526-AE2A-4C79-886F-D898067E7743.thumb.jpeg.3a5b931166568a1905aaeac181dcf7ab.jpeg

In 1871 then 1881 and there were big changes in structure and uniforms of the British army, with tweaks made for the rest of Queen Victorias reign ( to 1902)

As will all unwelcome/unnecessary change especially, there was some push back and it took time.

Men that purchased their own uniforms and that was particularly noticeable amongst militias didn’t hurry to adopt the changes. Historic badges/buttons were retained and used out of place by men and officers alike, collar badges on caps or old buttons on mess dress for example.

For now , If pushed, I’d say your man is a fusilier and, without me knowing others with the ribbon, that he is in a Royal Welsh Fusiliers uniform. I’d then have to guess that if they are not simply ‘hard to make out’ RWF badges then the collar badges are his from ‘before’ ie he served in a unit amalgamated into RWF or disbanded.

I’ve underlined all the if’s because with some Gent on here letting us know other units with the ribbon, and I bet there is… it’s all change 🤷‍♂️

tony 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🇬🇧

Tony, those ribbons are not attached to the collar, they are part of the glengarry. The collar badges are the best hope of identification but they are too vague although they do have a hint of the shamrock in the shape.      Pete.

On 17/01/2024 at 21:35, SillyOldGrandad said:

Tony, those ribbons are not attached to the collar, they are part of the glengarry

() head slap 👋 ()

Pete, why didn’t I remember that ?

thanks 

tony 🍻

Edited by Farkas
    Edut