News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hauptmann a. D. Prof. Dr. phil. Dr. h. c. mult. Hans von Euler-Chelpin

Gentlemen, I read Hans Karl August Simon von Euler-Chelpin (b. 1873) served as a Einjährig-Freiwilliger (1891/92) with the Bavarian artillery. In WWI, he served again with the artillery, transferring to the Fliegertruppe in 1915, finally Hauptmann der Reserve. Does anyone have any exact information about promotions and especially decorations. He served for a time in the Ottoman Empire (Deutsche Militärmission). I am having problems finding out, if he was a pilot or Beobachter. I would be very thankful for any typ of information about his military career. A picture in uniform? I don't have that much hope. 😉 

Hi 

I dont why you are asking about information on him, as he is a well known personaly during last decade 🤨

As an "swedish" Nobelpreisträger etc.

If you can afford to "drink" one Beer every month you can see that he have like eight files on ancestry.de which gives you all the information you are asking for.

If you cant afford that small amount of money you can cheat as three months are free on ancestry.de

😃

Gunnar

Edited by Soderbaum

19 minutes ago, Soderbaum said:

If you can afford to "drink" one Beer every month you can see that he have like eight files on ancestry.de which gives you all the information you are asking for.

9,99€ a Month. So I guess you dont drink Lättöl. 

Yes, he is very well known, BUT his military career is sparsely publicized. I'll take everything you have. Thanks!

Oh well, I tried your tip, registered as a guest, was quite easy, but then of course they only let me see names, nothing else. Even for a free trial they need credit card or PayPal, I have neither. 

Edited by Deutschritter

Gentlemen, after many hours of research (thanks to Glenn and the Verordnungs-Blätter), I have found out a few things, but I still do not know if pilot or Beobachter (any help appreciated) :

Hans von Euler-Chelpin completed his mandatory military service as a one-year volunteer (Einjährig-Freiwilliger) with the Königlich Bayerisches 1. Feldartillerie-Regiment „Prinzregent Luitpold“ from c. 1890 to 1891. At some time making Vizewachtmeister?

On 27 November 1914 with Patent from 18 August 1914, he was promoted to 2nd Lieutenant of the Reserves. On 26 October 1916, he was promoted to 1st Lieutenant of the Reserves with Patent from 27 September 1916. In the winter of 1916–1917, he took part in a mission to the Ottoman Empire (Deutsche Militärmission), a German ally during World War I, to accelerate the production of munitions and alcohol. In 1917, he returned to the front. On 16 March 1918, he received a new Patent as Oberleutnant d. R. from 19 May 1915. On 30 June 1918, he was promoted to Hauptmann (Captain) of the Reserves. 

Military Merit Order (Bavaria), 4th Class with Swords on 15 January 1915

Iron Cross (1914), 2nd Class on 4 February 1915 (sadly couldn't find a 1st Class)

Military Merit Order (Bavaria), 4th Class with the Crown and Swords on 30 August 1918

Norblad Ekstrand Prize from the Swedish Chemical Society in 1927

Nobel Prize for Chemistry in 1929

Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer

Goethe Medal for Art and Science (Goethe-Medaille für Kunst und Wissenschaft) in 1943

Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany, Great Cross with Star (Knight Commander's Cross)

Edited by Deutschritter