News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medal for Victory of Germany Document Translation

Hi Guys

Everybody has been so helpful with other posts, I really appreciate all of your assistance. 

This is actually one of the first Soviet medals I ever bought and at the time it came with the associated award document. Even though I've had it for years I still have no idea who it was awarded to. I would love to find out the recipient. The booklet is very worn and delicate but hopefully clear enough to make out the relevant details. 

Could anybody please assist? 

Thanks in advance for any help

Tom

VictoryoverGermany1.thumb.jpg.b9688a9d40104fb784ef0cca81e28074.jpg

VictoryoverGermany2.thumb.jpg.b76c63e6ee1a7bb458797f3d6477a36c.jpg

His name is Nikolai Tikhonovich Luk'ianchikov.  Podvig Naroda lists a person by that name who was born in 1917 in Leningrad Oblast and who received the Medal for Valor on 20 July 1943 and the Medal for Victory over Germany in the Great Patriotic War 1941-1945. His Medal for Valor is listed in a Prikaz of th e 375 Artillery Regiment, 181 Stalingradsk Order of Lenin Rifle Division and was for an action on 15 July 1943 when his section destroyed 4 Machine gun crews and 2 mortar batteries.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

On 23/02/2024 at 17:53, Gunner 1 said:

His name is Nikolai Tikhonovich Luk'ianchikov.  Podvig Naroda lists a person by that name who was born in 1917 in Leningrad Oblast and who received the Medal for Valor on 20 July 1943 and the Medal for Victory over Germany in the Great Patriotic War 1941-1945. His Medal for Valor is listed in a Prikaz of th e 375 Artillery Regiment, 181 Stalingradsk Order of Lenin Rifle Division and was for an action on 15 July 1943 when his section destroyed 4 Machine gun crews and 2 mortar batteries.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

Thank you for your reply. Does the booklet specify his rank at all? I don't suppose it includes a photo? (long shot I know!). 

Also from looking online I am struggling to locate the Rifle Division you mention, at least not one that includes the Order of Lenin Title. I can see one formed in 1940 which seems to have been wiped out, and the later one which was formed from the 10th Rifle Division NKVD. Is this anything you can help me decipher? Cheers!

The medal booklet doesn't specify his rank. The Medal for Courage entry on Podvig Naroda, which may well be his, lists him as a Private. Had he been an officer, there would have been options to get his photo, but there are no photos of enlisted personnel in the archives.

The division that started out as the 10th NKVD Rifle Division is the division you're looking for (this was actually the third 181st Rifle Division to be formed during the war). It was awarded the Orders of Lenin, Red Banner, Suvorov, and Kutuzov. In the time frame we're looking at (early July 1943) the division was deployed in the northwest section of the Kursk salient (under the 65th Army), although the 181st didn't see any combat in the first stage of the battle of Kursk. On July 13 the division was placed under the neighboring 70th Army and it joined in the offensive on July 15. The action Gunner 1 described took place that day.

https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/181-я_стрелковая_дивизия_(3-го_формирования)

Thanks @Ferdinand for your help. Especially the clarity around the rifle division. 

I suppose there is no way of being 100% the recipient of this booklet & medal is the man on Podvig Naroda? I presume its not a comprehensive list of all named servicemen and women during the war and a name could be duplicated for different service people?

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody recognize the meaning of the stamping in the lower right that seems to spell 'КИРОВСКИЙ РАЙВО'?  КИРОВСКИЙ translates to Kirovsky so a regional thing?  None of my medal or battle-participation docs have a 'counter-stamp' like that.

КИРОВСКИЙ РАЙВОЕНКОМ - Kirov district military commissar
    Полковник Г.... - Colonel G......

In round stamp:
    Кировский районный военный коммиссариат [....] - Kirov district military commissariat [....]

In brackets should be city or oblast where Kirov district is situated.
    There are too many Kirov districts in Soviet Union were.

• 2 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...
    On 29/03/2024 at 17:05, Egorka said:

Hello,
    Is there a rectangular stamp on the other side of the document?

Hi

Sorry for the slow reply. No rectangular stamp on the back. 

All the best

Tom