News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medal Bar - Info Please

Hey all, so, ran across this bar and was wondering what my esteemed fellow collectors can tell me about it.

I know it's not Imperial, looks like a lot of local/regional awards.

So what say you

Many thanks 

Greg

s-l960.webp

s-l960-1.webp

Edited by gjw

1 hour ago, Stogieman said:

I think that’s a post 1945 bar, looks like a lot of membership medals?

I do believe you're correct.  It would be nice to know what each of them represents.

Many thanks for your input

Greg

Hi Greg,

the translation for the motto

Fur Besondere Berdienste’ (spelling?)

comes back as…

for special service’.

I’m pretty sure I’ve still got a little group of medals/awards by the same veterans organisation that includes ones with years of membership…

5, 10 & 15yrs numbered on them.

They are from the  interwar period i believe.

The lack of even a 5 year membership medal (unless in fact one is…) makes me think this person maybe received all these in a relatively short period of time.

I’m assuming the association would have helped to provide support & social services to veterans especially after the war so perhaps this person was ‘exceptionally’ involved in the organisation for a time post ww2.

Last thought, the crest/shields look to be different on a couple of the medals, perhaps different branches? If so maybe recognition not just from one local area?

Nice looking group especially on the bar with the cross fronting them.

cheers

tony 🍻

1 hour ago, Farkas said:

Hi Greg,

the translation for the motto

Fur Besondere Berdienste’ (spelling?)

comes back as…

for special service’.

I’m pretty sure I’ve still got a little group of medals/awards by the same veterans organisation that includes ones with years of membership…

5, 10 & 15yrs numbered on them.

They are from the  interwar period i believe.

The lack of even a 5 year membership medal (unless in fact one is…) makes me think this person maybe received all these in a relatively short period of time.

I’m assuming the association would have helped to provide support & social services to veterans especially after the war so perhaps this person was ‘exceptionally’ involved in the organisation for a time post ww2.

Last thought, the crest/shields look to be different on a couple of the medals, perhaps different branches? If so maybe recognition not just from one local area?

Nice looking group especially on the bar with the cross fronting them.

cheers

tony 🍻

Hey Tony, good to hear from you, hope all is well.

So you think this bar is to a Vet who served in the First World War?  

Many thanks as always!

Greg

6 hours ago, gjw said:

Hey Tony, good to hear from you, hope all is well.

So you think this bar is to a Vet who served in the First World War?  

Many thanks as always!

Greg

Hi Greg,

always good to catch up with you, all is well my end, hope you are well too.

To be honest I was thinking a ww2 veteran as it is without any of the 1930’s issued ww1 commemorative medals

58A7E6A2-C310-46D4-A308-7A2D2EB3FA8D.thumb.jpeg.2eab5627011c201bd91a9ceccb248a91.jpeg

So it would be a ww2 vet…

but I could be wrong

(it’s not uncommon 🥴)

Also I realised I overlooked #7, the last but one medal, the silver one, the reverse of which is shining away in picture 2.

That is a 40 year service/membership  medal from Tirol, Austria… so there should be a 25 year medal like this before it.

55110F2F-1DAD-469C-83EA-816211D4F24C.thumb.jpeg.d841f83d2e887cb87db408f689b66dd3.jpeg

45DEAA9B-52BC-429E-8815-AB7F50FB72B9.thumb.jpeg.2a3ea0c77af334ceabea3c8cdb999597.jpeg

The first is an award from :

The Austrian Black Cross (Österreichisches Schwarzes Kreuz)

& that could be as old as 1919 but I believe here it’s the wrong ribbon… it should be a

red - white - red ribbon for that.

F74FBD89-EADE-4B6D-8196-B488F644820A.thumb.png.c2339cf672daf05a563f1088d815d87a.png

And I’ve no idea about number 2 still.

So, after thinking ww2 vet, then ww1 ve when I saw the 40yr award, then even considering a 1848(!) & 1866 vet because of these 👇 (and wishful thinking).

6D4EB8B6-0E95-4CF1-BB9D-21F9BAC7C943.thumb.jpeg.f178ee22de6177be312ca52b0e9f7e40.jpeg

Sadly couldn’t justify 1848/66 so I came back to our first impression , a ww2 veteran and it fits…

The current medal 1 doesn’t belong,

the first one should be this 👇7D57FD37-386C-4EDC-BA1B-70B07255A628.thumb.png.f35e9a78f8660fdd26046a24083ac40b.png

Also, To accommodate the missing 25 yr medal, there has to be another one that doesn’t belong… so I’m binning number 2. 🤷‍♂️

————-

its 5.41am and it’s time for a snooze but…

I reckon the bar should be…

Number 1 - needs a 1939 to 45 cross

Number 2 - medal 6 belongs here

Numbers 3,4 & 5 - correctly hung.

Number 6 - needs a 25yr medal here.

Numbers 7 & 8 - are correctly hung.

I don’t know why 8 goes on the end but I’ve seen it there after (after a 25&40 also) on two other bars tonight, is it possibly because it’s ‘East Tyrol’ not just ‘Tyrol’, is East Tyrol still Austrian or is there some bad history 🤷‍♂️ Anyway, whatever the reason that’s where it seems to get placed.

Cheers

tony 🤷‍♂️

The white and red ribbon of the ÖSK cross was in use from the beginning (established in the 1950ties) until the 1980ties. Then it was change to red-white-red. Around 2000 it was changed another time and shows narrow white und black edges now.

You can see it here: https://www.osk.at/de/ueber-uns/auszeichnungen

The rank order on the bar is quite correct.

The highest ranking is the ÖSK cross (a nationwide award), medal no. 2 would be from his own local organisation (could/should be the last one), the other medals are ranked in gold (Styria, Carinthia, Lower Austria), silver (Styria, Styria 40 years service) and bronze (Styria).

There is no Tyrolian medal on the bar.

There are no WW1 or WW2 decorations, so we can assume that he did not serve in WW2 or just a short time, not achieving a wartime decoration.

Regards

Christian

Edited by Christian1962

Thanks guys for the info.  I had a sneaking hunch that it wasn't a WWI vet.  As you said Tony, no WWI awards.  Good info also Chris.

Still, an interesting bar.

Many thanks as always!

Stay well my friends 

Greg