News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Zaire - Order of Leopard

bilylev

Hello guys,

I have just bought this nice order. I like the design. Dont you know, who was the producer and how many pieces was produced? Also the size 85 mm is strange. 

Thanks

Jan

IMG-20240413-WA0003.jpg

IMG20240425120104.jpg

Second type [1978-2002?] commander badge. Likely made in Brussels, Belgium by Fibru-Fisch or DeGreef.  If it has hard enamel rather than epoxy enamel might be silver gilt--if so, perhaps maker or silver fineness hallmark on suspension ring or cravat loop.  Award names/numbers supposedly recorded by Orders Secretary & published in Zaire National Gazette.  Never located copies of Gazette in Kinshasa or Brussels & both manufacturers closed-mouth so hard to say how many actually awarded or made.  The box looks original:  some have outer upper lid embossed with gilt edging and gilt legend "O. Nat. du Leopard" or similar embossed in center.       

The marks are difficult for me to 'read'.  One may be a lion statant and the other character "EL"?  Do not recall meaning for either.  Believe that Antti Ruokonen's Belgium book {Spirit of the Lion} illustrates/identifies hallmarks -- I can't find my copy now to check.  The GMIC thread belgian Order of Leopold l may offer hallmark identification examples.  

Does the box have any indicia?

https://www.silvercollection.it/DICTIONARYEUHALLMARKBELGIUM.HTML#google_vignette  http://www.numisbel.be/KBGN 175_De Lombaert.pdf provide a general overview.  Neither appear to have a comparable match.