News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Baron Lucien Corvisart

Komtur

Posted (edited)

A few weeks ago there was sold some artefacts of the property coming from the french family de Corvisart including decorations attributed to Lucien de Corvisart, medical attendend to the emperor Napoleon III.

Among others there was sold a lot with a knight cross of the Legion of Honour type 2nd republic with to letters from 26th of August and 29th of October 1848 announcing the award. Unfortunately no name of the recipient is to be found there. As to be seen here, Corvisart indeed got this decoration on the 23rd of August 1848. So this attribution seems to be correct.

Corvisart Ehrenlegion Ritter 1.JPG

Corvisart Ehrenlegion Ritter 2.JPG

Corvisart Ehrenlegion Ritter 3.JPG

Corvisart Ehrenlegion Ritter 5.JPG

Corvisart Ehrenlegion Ritter 4.JPG

FRDAFAN83_OL0596057v001_L a.jpg

Edited by Komtur

3 hours ago, Komtur said:

A few weeks ago there was sold some artefacts of the property coming from the french family de Corvisart including decorations attributed to Lucien de Corvisart, medical attendend to the emperor Napoleon III.

Among others there was sold a lot with a knight cross of the Legion of Honour type 2nd republic with to letters from 26th of August and 29th of October 1848 announcing the award. Unfortunately no name of the recipient is to be found there. As to be seen here, Corvisart indeed got this decoration on the 23rd of August 1848. So this attribution seems to be correct.

Corvisart Ehrenlegion Ritter 1.JPG

Corvisart Ehrenlegion Ritter 2.JPG

Corvisart Ehrenlegion Ritter 3.JPG

Corvisart Ehrenlegion Ritter 5.JPG

Corvisart Ehrenlegion Ritter 4.JPG

FRDAFAN83_OL0596057v001_L a.jpg

Very nice Grouping Thanks

The Documents faded, however I can see his name, or i am wrong

It looks like he was awarded the Officer of LOH during Second Empire period

Posted (edited)
    9 hours ago, Graf said:

... It looks like he was awarded the Officer of LOH during Second Empire period

He did indeed. I was so lucky to get this lot too. Unfortunately the order is quite damaged. The officer cross coming with the documents is made in silver gilded. I am not sure, if this version was officially handed out in that period? At least the box seems to be a later version. Possibly some of the parts were mixt up with also sold items of his son Charles, a later General.

Corvisart Ehrenlegion Offizier 1.JPG

Corvisart Ehrenlegion Offizier 2.JPG

Corvisart Ehrenlegion Offizier 3.JPG

Corvisart Ehrenlegion Offizier 4.JPG

Corvisart Ehrenlegion Offizier 5.JPG

Corvisart Ehrenlegion Offizier 6.JPG

Corvisart Ehrenlegion Offizier 7.JPG

Corvisart Ehrenlegion Offizier 8.JPG

Corvisart Ehrenlegion Offizier 9.JPG

Edited by Komtur

39 minutes ago, Komtur said:

He did indeed. I was so lucky to get this lot too. Unfortunately the order is quite damaged. The officer cross coming with the documents is made in silver gilded. I am not sure, if this version was officially handed out in that period? At least the box seems to be a later version. Possibly some of the parts were mixt up with also sold items of his son Charles, a later General.

Corvisart Ehrenlegion Offizier 1.JPG

Corvisart Ehrenlegion Offizier 2.JPG

Corvisart Ehrenlegion Offizier 3.JPG

Corvisart Ehrenlegion Offizier 4.JPG

Corvisart Ehrenlegion Offizier 5.JPG

Corvisart Ehrenlegion Offizier 6.JPG

Corvisart Ehrenlegion Offizier 7.JPG

Corvisart Ehrenlegion Offizier 8.JPG

Corvisart Ehrenlegion Offizier 9.JPG

Very nice

The box is, as you suspect, later version

I also suspect that the LOH is not the awarded piece, but privately made later on to be worn or to replace lost or damaged  awarded LOH

The common practice at that time anything Officer Class and above to be made from 18 Carat Gold

There are some pieces made from gilded Silver, however ,in my opinion they were privately made one  to replace the lost or damaged  Gold ones or to be worn instead of the Gold one to avoid lost or damage

Nevertheless if it comes with a strong provenance , then it does not diminish the collector,s and market value

Here are pictures of the Officer Cross and the Cross in Gold

LOH OFFiocer Box.JPG

LOH OFF Box iopen.JPG

Medals 229.jpg

7 hours ago, Graf said:

... Nevertheless if it comes with a strong provenance , then it does not diminish the collector,s and market value ...

In case of Corvisart besides lots of private papers and fotographs there were sold some other decorations with corresponding documents. Therefore the provenance seems to be reproducible.

Unfortunately I was not the winner for his Zähringer Lion Commander and his Tunesian Order of Glory Star. Just for these two decorations exist portrait of Corvisart wearing them.

Corvisart, Baron Lucien 1.jpg

Corvisart, Baron Lucien 2.jpg