News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello everyone !

I'm wondering about this decoration that I just saw at emedals...

ci19_6400.jpeg.f7be77210d362dc6bb2eb5973c5bcd73.jpeg

I had never heard of a decoration forlong service in the reserve troops...

No matter how much I search in Nimmergut's books, I can't find such an entry.

Is this to be understood that in parallel with the long service medals and cross created in 1913, there was the creation of long service awards for the reserve, on the Prussian model ??

If so, how many classes, and what does it look like?

Thank you for your answers !

Reserve Long Service Decoration (Landwehr Dienstauszeichnungen), common to to Saxe-Altenburg, Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, and Saxe-Meiningen. Instituted in 1913 and awarded in 2 classes, the first class for 20 years. This one is the second class in gilted bronze, should be 25mm in diameter. Ribbon is plain green.

Posted (edited)

Thanks you !

Do you have an illustration of the first class?

I can't believe I've never seen this distinction in a while...

And while I'm asking questions...

For the long service awards, was nothing planned for the officers?

The series of Saxon DA (2 medals and 1 cross) were intended for non-commissioned officers and enlisted men.

Unless the officers wore the Prussian seniority cross, as was done in other states ?

Thank you !

Edited by pinpon590

Hello Pinpon590,

You are correct, this award is not listed in my old OEK and it is not listed in von Hessenthal und Schreiber.  The Sächsische Herzogtümer Long Service awards (DA) for 15, 12, and 9 years are listed in the OEK.  But, no Sächsische Herzogtümer Reserve Long Service awards are listed.  My understanding is that the Sächsische Herzogtümer Long Service awards were often awarded to Gendarmerie.  I believe that in the past, I have seen a medal like the one that you show.  I think that it is probably a genuine period award.  It is likely that so few of them were awarded, that they may not be mentioned in sources.  A thorough search of auction catalogues should shine light on the subject.

Best regards,

18 hours ago, pinpon590 said:

This one is the saxony kingdom officers cross ?

Yes.

18 hours ago, pinpon590 said:

For saxony duchy officers ?

My bad, i was thinking officers of the kingdom.

On 06/07/2024 at 15:16, pinpon590 said:

For the long service awards, was nothing planned for the officers?

The series of Saxon DA (2 medals and 1 cross) were intended for non-commissioned officers and enlisted men.

Unless the officers wore the Prussian seniority cross, as was done in other states ?

OK, I have found an answer in Nimmergut's : since 1867 and military convention with Prussia, the long service award for officers of saxony Altenburg, Meiningen and Cobourg-Gotha was the prussian one.

On 06/07/2024 at 14:34, Megan said:

Reserve Long Service Decoration (Landwehr Dienstauszeichnungen), common to to Saxe-Altenburg, Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, and Saxe-Meiningen. Instituted in 1913 and awarded in 2 classes, the first class for 20 years. This one is the second class in gilted bronze, should be 25mm in diameter. Ribbon is plain green.

OK : 2nd class, round medal, bronze gilted, green ribbon, but for how many years ?

Now : 1st class = 20 years but no pictures found... same medal ? Another metal (silvered maybe ?). Probably same ribbon...

😊