News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Very long ribbon bar with a very short shelf life.

Picked this bar up a number of years ago.  Mentioned in this thread here, the consensus was that it was a senior NCO beamte in some capacity other than paymaster or intendance.

AP1GczN5jCbZNaOqCNuQfiz4k9SLbDVG.thumb.jpg.d0d62767d7ff04d92bbefc2b2b393d66.jpg

AP1GczOXxM1YbsvYb5KR_De26AK8T_Ih.thumb.jpg.5addf07c2eda766986986e284b1dd9df.jpg

Revisiting it again, I started with the Verordnungs-blatt des Königlich bayerischen Kriegsministeriums from 1914-1920 to see if there were any MVK1XmKr recipients listed in it that might be viable.  It became immediately obvious that only a small number of the total recipients were reflected in the VOB.  Went through the Bavarian Hof- und Staats Handbuch 1914 and the Militär-Handbuch des Königreiches Bayern 1914 to see if there were any suitable candidates with an 1897, a Julbilee, and a Prussian Crown Order Medal / Crown Order 4th Class / Württemberg Friedrichs Orden.  No suitable candidates.  Went through the Prussian Hof- und Staats Handbuch 1918 to see if there was a MVK1XmKr recipient that worked.  No matches there, unless it came after 31.3.18.

Striking out entirely among the NCOs, I decided to come at it from another angle, this time assuming that I might be looking at a MVO3XmKr.  

BIngo!

A foot artillery officer who ended up at the war ministry:

Oberst Ernst Schierlinger (Charakter als Generalmajor in 1920) 

His bio from the book Die Bayerische Kriegsakademie (1867-1914):

DieBayerischeKriegsakademie(1867-1914)entry.jpg.daca891bec922c0dca81eae2b6055e9e.jpg

And another from a Munich newspaper in 1918:

MnchnerneuesteNachrichtenAbend-Ausgabe29_07_1918.JPG.5d27a196b12ad3800291f239f5dcf066.JPG

Kriegstamrolle courtesy of Ancestry:

schierlinger-bayerfussart-regiments-stab-124.thumb.png.1309b72818d3a8afeeaa74155f90bbe4.png

22.3.97 Kaiser Wilhelm I. Erinnerungsmedaille 1897
    30.9.01 Dienstauszeichnungskreuz 2. Klasse für 24 Jahre
    19.2.06 Königlicher Kronen-Orden Kreuz 3.Klasse
    24.10.09 Jubiläumsmedaille mit Krone
    23.12.12 Militär-Verdienstorden Kreuz 3.Klasse
    31.12.14 Eisernes Kreuz 2.Klasse 
    18.5.15 Militär-Verdienstorden Kreuz 3.Klasse mit Krone und Schwertern
    4.1.16 Eisernes Kreuz 1.Klasse 

He earned a crown for his Jubilee medal by virtue of having spent his one year volunteer stint in the 1st FAR.

He opted not to wear his peacetime MVO, perhaps treating his wartime award as an upgrade and replacing it. (Or perhaps because he'd have to turn sideways to get through a doorway if the bar were much larger.)  

As for the Red Cross Medal, I came across a reference in a Munich newspaper from 1926 where he represented the Red Cross at a local event.  His bio for the Bayerische Kriegsakademie book mentions his involvement with the Red Cross as well.

Curiously this might hold some sort of record for a ribbon bar with the shortest service life.  The Hindenburg Cross was first authorized on the 13th of July, 1934. Best case scenario, as a retired general still living in Munch with buddies in the war ministry able to jump to the front of the line, he'd have had this ribbon bar for less than three weeks.   Schierlinger died on the 1st of August. 

Edited by landsknechte