News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Picture of Soviet 1 star general's cap

I just purchased a circa 1975-80 Soviet 1 star Army general's tunic. I would like to find a peaked cap to match. Does anyone have a picture of what I should be looking for? Thanks.

Edited by Paul C

Guest Rick Research

This is a gray summer dress version, and what you need is one with the top the same color as the tunic, but the piping, band and insignia will look like this:

http://collectrussia.com/DISPITEM.HTM?ITEM=11667

There should be a DATE 2 digit year in the maker mark near the size, so you want one as close to the tunic's button dates or ribbon bar awards as possible.

Of late I have noticed a flood of fraudulent general visor caps being peddled on ebay, so "bargains" are usually not. One tip off, aside from the undated labels, are the use of normal one piece officer cockades with white paint behind the star, rather than correct two piece generals' cockades on gilt background. The bullion "shrubbery" on the band is right, but apparently the hat factories churning out the frauds now no longer have access to the correct metal insignia.

This is NOT the insignia on an army cap-- this is for an AIR FORCE general, but it is the only loose insignia not on a cap that I can scan showing the separate red enamelled star on all gilt cockade worn by all generals after 1955:

[attachmentid=39481]

I must have several of the correct period hats stashed away with similar period uniforms, but none photographed-- so the above as "close enough."