News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Just got this in the mail and thought I would share. It's a badge for veteran's of the fighting at Hanko/Hang? or Gangut in Russian. Hanko is a penninsula in Finland the Russian got after the Winterwar.

These veteran's badges are not that expensive but rich in history. And finding one from that special unit can be a real treasure hunt.

/Kim

Now if I just could find the document or documented medal group...

Edited by kimj

Just got this in the mail and thought I would share. It's a badge for veteran's of the fighting at Hanko/Hang? or Gangut in Russian. Hanko is a penninsula in Finland the Russian got after the Winterwar.

These veteran's badges are not that expensive but rich in history. And finding one from that special unit can be a real treasure hunt.

/Kim

Now if I just could find the document or documented medal group...

This Hanko badge issue is the only veteran znachok I remember seeing with a s/n on it.

Guest Rick Research

Any idea WHEN this Hang? badge was issued? On a jubilee year-- 25th... 40th.... ?

Any idea WHEN this Hang? badge was issued? On a jubilee year-- 25th... 40th.... ?

I've had two of these badges, 1767 and 2702. A document accompanying one of them was dated 1968, so maybe the 25th anniversary? Incidentally, the badge pictured here has the same overall design as my two, yet stylistic aspects are slightly different. As a result I think this particular one may have been a restrike or second factory's production.

This one didn't come with papers. But a Finnish collegue has a document dated 1974(!), badge No 3610. That would make mine a bit later than 1974. So a later batch is perhaps the best guess.

Dudeman, do you remember if the serialnumber style were similar to this one?

/Kim

Dudeman, do you remember if the serialnumber style were similar to this one?

/Kim

Your s/n is done with a rotating "Dremel" tool. The ones I saw were machine-engraved and the numbers were "blocked" as opposed to slanted, cursive.