News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet Awards to Commonwealth citizens in WWII

First of all, I'm sorry if this is a duplicate thread. I was sure there was an old one, but I couldn't find it. If the bosses wish to merge this with that one, please do so.

As a request from another thread, I'm putting a few images I have (imaged only) of WWII Soviet awards adapted (often with some inventiveness) for wear by their Commonwealth recipients. I am a little reluctant to do this, as these medals are not in my custody, the images are on my chaotic hard disk but with no sense of where they came from, in whose custody the medals reside. Apologies if I am stealing.

As far as sources, the first bar was sold on one of the big British auctions. I believe this is the item description:

BRITISH MEDALS AND DECORATIONS

AWARDS FOR GALLANTRY AND DISTINGUISHED SERVICE

K.B.E. 2nd. type, military, C.B. Military, neck badge, silver gilt and enamels, D.F.C. (GV1- award for the N.W.F. 1937), I.G.S. 1908, bar N.W.F. 1935 (F/L), I.G.S. 1936, bar N.W.F. 1936-37 (S/L), 1939/45 Star, Atlantic Star with France and Germany bar, Italy Star, Defence Medal, War Medal, M.I.D., 1937 Jubilee, 1953 Coronation, Russia, Order of the Patriotic War, 2nd. class badge, Greece, Order of the Phoenix, 2nd class, neck badge and breast star to Air Marshall Sir G. Tuttle, R.A.F. His obituary 13/7/1989 records ?Air Marshall Sir Geoffrey Tuttle, who has died aged 82, was given the task in June 1940 of commanding the R.A.F?s first photographic reconnaissaance unit. At that time the unit was suffering from the after effects of it?s foundation by the Australian adventurer Sir Sidney Cotton. Tuttle?s arrival at Heston introduced just enough red tape to satisfy the Air Ministry. When Tuttle arrived in February of that year Cotton was still in command, but shortly afterwards his bloody minded unorthadoxy became too much for Whitehall and Tuttle replaced him. Tuttle repaired relations with Whitehall but continued to encourage a certain buccaneer spirit among the crews of his unarmed aircraft, notably a handful of pink painted Spitfires. At this stage he was the only unit commander in the R.A.F. allowed to select any pilot he wanted; allowing his pilot?s plenty of scope for initiative, he refused to have irksome paperwork imposed by them. By the end of July he had nearly 1000 men under his command at three RAF stations.. It was Tuttle and his pilots who first made a name for the Mosquito. Charming the first from De Havilland in 1941, he obtained hitherto unheard of results as his Mosquitos roamed enemy skies, their speed giving them a great advantage in the business of gaining photographic intelligence. Determined to obtain more Spitfires, he staged a mock dogfight in front of the King and Queen and flew a Spitfire against a Mosquito to demonstrate the latters superior speed and manoeuvrability. He was born at Lowestoft in 1906 and educated at St. Pauls. He entered the RAF joining 19 Squadron. In 1937 after service in India he returned to join 105 Squadron. He was awarded the DFC and went on to command the unit. At the outbreak of war he went to France as a staff officer at Advanced Air Strike Force HQ before returning to begin his career in photo reconnaissance. His record brought rapid promotion in Coastal Command in 1943 and commanding 328 Recon Wing in Algiers covering operations in N.W. Africa. By 1944 Tuttle was Senior Air Staff Officer at HQ Mediterranean Allied Coastal Air Force, im which post he was obliged, after an outbreak of lawlessness, to use the RAF against Greek nationals, something he described ?as the most hateful order I have had to give?. After the war Tuttle progressed to become Deputy Chief of Staff of the Air Staff, from which he retired in 1959. As vice-chairman of B.A.C. from 1966-1977, Tuttle helped introduce Concorde. During his long aviation career he flew 103 types of aircraft, from bi-planes to jets. He was thrice mentioned in despatches, appointed OBE in 1940, C.B. 1945 and KBE 1957.? C.B. L.G. 14/6/1945, K.B.E. L.G. 1/1/1957; D.F.C. L.G. 10/12/1937 ?For gallant and distinguished service in Waziristan, during the period 25th. November, 1936, to 16th January, 1937; Phoenix Grand Oficer L.G. 15/3/1946; Patriotic War L.G. 11/4/1944 (approx 20 1st class awards and 20 2nd class only to British recipients). With full research and photograph of the recipient in full dress uniform wearing all medals (R2669) N.E.F.

Price: ? 8,950.00

The second group (with the Red Star) is fully documented, and is owned by a close friend of mine. A very nice group to a South African! He served as a transport pilot ferrying materials to Stalingrad.

The second group (with the Red Star) is fully documented, and is owned by a close friend of mine. A very nice group to a South African! He served as a transport pilot ferrying materials to Stalingrad.

Thanks, Dave,

Please let your friend know I have used his image and will happily remove it if he wishes. I am very sensitive to such issues, though I realise that in these days of Google spiders crawling all over anything that ever shows up any place on the web becomes fair game for unfair poaching.

Ed

Thanks, Dave,

Please let your friend know I have used his image and will happily remove it if he wishes. I am very sensitive to such issues, though I realise that in these days of Google spiders crawling all over anything that ever shows up any place on the web becomes fair game for unfair poaching.

Ed

Ed-

Rather gentlemanly of you, but I don't think he'll mind. He had earlier posted photos of it on the Soviet Awards Forum (by the way, now open for visitor browsing, in case anyone is interested) so chances are he doesn't mind the photo being shown (so long as you aren't trying to sell it!) :cheeky:

Dave