News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

ww1? Soviet Cap Badge

Hello gents,

I have this Russian cap badge and I was told it was ww1 issue, I was wondering if anyone could show the differences between ww1 and ww2 Soviet cap insignias, and let me know if mine is indeed a ww1 issue.

Thanks again,

Pat

here is the back, if this post belongs in the Soviet militaria section please move it, sorry! :blush:

ANyways, here is the reverse in not so clean condition. ANy ideas?

Thanks,

Pat

Well if you consider that the Soviet made the revolution in 1917 and that they didn't fought long time against the Germans, I'm not even sure if these Soviet WWI cap badges did exist in 1917-1918.

Well if you consider that the Soviet made the revolution in 1917 and that they didn't fought long time against the Germans, I'm not even sure if these Soviet WWI cap badges did exist in 1917-1918.

There was no cap badges in military uniform during 1917 October Revolution. The only element of Communist uniform was red ribbon sewed on the coat or on the hat.

First more or less regular uniform for Red Army appeared during Civil War in 1919-21. They did have cap badges, however they were different. They displayed hammer and plow instead of hummer and sickle.

Hello gents,

I have this Russian cap badge and I was told it was ww1 issue, I was wondering if anyone could show the differences between ww1 and ww2 Soviet cap insignias, and let me know if mine is indeed a ww1 issue.

Thanks again,

Pat

The red star badge, with hammer and sickle, was issued to the Red Army in 1922, worn by men, commissars and commanders. Prior to that the red star displayed a hammer and plough emblem, this being issued to the Workers and Peasants Red Army 1918.

Scans of this badge are attached. The 'tired' badge is one that was given to me, years ago, by an old collector friend who, himself, had it from a Russian soldier in WW1. The badge itself is in good condition, complete with fasteners, but the red paint has suffered over the years. Purposely, I have not had this renovated. The star is 33mm high.

The photograph shows another sample of the original badge, the property of another collector, plus a reproduction badge from about 1990. There are slight differences between the original and the copy.

[attachmentid=42100] [attachmentid=42101]