News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Imperial Russian 30th Inf. Rgt Badge

Ramblinfarms

Kind Gentlemen:

I did my research and this piece looks okay to me. However, any feedback from the more experienced members is always appreciated. Is this the officer's version of the badge?

I have had trouble finding out anything about this Regiment, though. Could someone please assist me or point me in the right direction?

Your assistance is most appreciated, as I am learning.

• 2 weeks later...

36-1 pekh. Orel R- f. book Warsaw deg the paskevicha-Erivanskeyeo regiment

White enemal equilateral cross with the gold rim. On it the silver oxidized two-headed eagle, on breast of which the connected gold additional monograms of the emperors of Peter I and Nikolai II. In the upper part of the cross gold additional emperor crown, below inscription by gold: "1711.19. 11.1911"148.

This is interesting. The one from Manion's is misidentified as the 30th Rgt. There is no enameling on the badge, but the cross is a silvered bronze with a gold eagle. Other than that, it is identical. Could the one from Manion's be the enlisted/NCO version?

Hi Just saw this post.

Still catching up since my vacation.

Manions version would be NCO/EM.

Enamelled version are all officers.

Details could be better on the back ground.

There has been a flood of real nice repro. badges hitting the marked this past year. Mose are silver marked with the same maker..and coming from canada/australia.

Ebay is full of them.

Id wait for others to help on this one.

Hard to tell for me without in hand.

George

Thanks George. I have the Badge in hand, and I am satisfied it is a real one. I have been over it from top to bottom with a 10x loupe and the patina and wear are the real deal. It appears genuinely old, and not artificially aged.

I heard that enlisted versions are actually rarer than the officer's version. Is that correct?

Hi

Yes usually the NCO/EM versions are harder to find.

Im not sure why.

Dont know if not that many were purshased by the poorer soliders or if these were more likely destroyed at the revolution by the owner themselves.. The Officer version would have been worn throughout the civilwar if the White officer lived..

Glad you like it. Getting hard to find good regiment badges.

George

Amen to that. The Badges are beautiful but it scares me to death that about 90 percent of what you see for sale is fake. Ironically, I got out of WWII German cloth, etc because of all the fakery. :blush:

The Manion's photos, as usual, do not do the Badge Justice. The numbers and crown and pebbling are very crisp, sharp , and detailed. The eagle has fantastically detailed feathering with minute detail to the Orb and Sceptre.

Edited by Ramblinfarms

• 2 weeks later...

From Andolenko and Werlich, "Badges of Imperial Russia" (1983 ed) :

Thirty-Sixth Orel Infantry Regiment of Field Marshall The Duke of Warsaw, Count Paskevich-Erivansky

And by sheer coincidence, something I picked up on E Stand several months ago: Commercial Miniature Portrait of the good Field Marshall, late 19th, early 20th Century Russian, water color on ivory.

Edited by Ramblinfarms

Note the Kulm Cross. He was also awarded the EK, Red Eagle Order, and several other higher Prussian Awards.

This is the Officer's Version. The one from Manion's is the enlisted/NCO version of silvered brass with a guilded eagle. Eduard is the manufacturer.

Edited by Ramblinfarms

• 1 month later...

I thought so too, but did you notice the cipher is upside down? :blush: My guess was a bad repair at a later date.

Chris

I don't think so. The reverse wire attachments do not appear to have been disturbed. I think it was a manufacture goof. Remember, even though these badges are rare, they made thousands of these for the enlisted man. How many enlisted men and NCO's where in the regiment and how many wore a badge ?

Yet, it is my understanding that enlisted badges are rarer than officers. More inclined to toss them after the revolution because they were made of brass or bronze? I've heard a couple of explanations for this.

You are correct. Most were destroyed. It was not a good idea to have these items during the 1920's -30's in Soviet Russian. The NKVD would have shot you just for keeping such things. You would have been considered lucky if Stalin spared your life and you were sent to the Gulag insted.

Another reason why I find these so fascinating. To think it was just luck, or maybe the care and love given to it by a former Imperial soldier that has allowed it to survive some 90 years. The odds are stacked against any of us ever holding it in our hands; yet, here it is, a piece of history long gone.

That to me is the best part of collecting, to own a tangible piece of such an interesting period of Russian history.

Thats exactly how I feel when I get a new piece. :jumping:

These pieces have so much old history, Just think a 200yr or 100yr anniversity badge for a regiment.

200 yrs! third reich items just dont stand a chance to that kind of history. :beer:

Its so hard to find a personalize piece. Named jetons civil or military are some of my favorites..

George