Vic Diehl

Legion Condor Air Force Dagger

Hoping the title catches your eye. On vacation so cannot send pics. Picked up this Spanish dagger unknown to me, please help me with your expertise.

Brass mounted throughout.

Scabbard---Imperial german, Navy type

Dagger hilt--white celluloid wire wrapped grip. Imperial german Type crossguard with capstan knob ends, centeral located winged prop on both sides. Design is cast into the crossguard. Pommel-- Single turned knob matchng the crossguard ends.

Blade. Tang stamped DAMAST but nickel plated. double stamped Carl Eickhorn, squirrel on one side, written logo on the other. Blade obverse has a squadron of 5 single wing planes with turning props in formation over a village, other side has Toledo, and the Crowned FF with Spanish Coat of arms.

Entire setup is quailty.

Any help appreciated.

Vic

Hello,

It seems that a picture should be helpfull. We will wait for your return home.

All the pics are the same size, but I can not add more

Edited by Vic Diehl

another

I have never seen something like that.

Perhaps it was made to celebrate the liberation of the "Alcazar" of Toledo. The presence of propeller blades, wings may suggest connection to Legion Condor, but in that case I would expect some Luftwaffe emblems or swastikas.

The crest is that of Nationalist Spain, but the "crowned FF" monogram is unknown to me.

Edited by Panzerpionier

Its Roumanian. The double F cypher is for Ferdinand.

Regards,

Pete

Sal;

I do not believe there is any tie in with Spain. I thought there was due to the word toledo, but probably not.

Vic

Sal;

I do not believe there is any tie in with Spain. I thought there was due to the word toledo, but probably not.

Vic

I agree.

I thought that the crest on eagle was that of Nationalist Spain, but definitely it is not. Toledo is a city in Spain with connection to the Spanish Civil War, but perhaps is also a Romanian word.

The dagger was made by a renowned German company, and therefore it has a lot of interest indeed.

Yes, Eickhorn pieces are always in demand. This blade is stamped with the Eickhorn stamp for DAMAST but was nickel plated over and the damascus pattern is not visible. I am emailing some people in Romania, perhaps there is some interest in bringing such a rare piece home.

Here is a copy of the Eagle seal

That's the coat of arms of the Kingdom of Romania.

On 18 June 2006 at 10:19, Panzerpionier said:

I agree.

I thought that the crest on eagle was that of Nationalist Spain, but definitely it is not. Toledo is a city in Spain with connection to the Spanish Civil War, but perhaps is also a Romanian word.

The dagger was made by a renowned German company, and therefore it has a lot of interest indeed.

Hello everybody!

Sorry for intrusion. This is a rare Romanian air force dagger from 1920-25. Does have a similar correspondent in Navy from the same period. Unfortunately the upper handling has been replaced.

For those interested in, I can post some pictures.