News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Motorhead shows the maker of "square" marked EKs

For those of you who do not peruse the '39 EK forum, at my request, Micha has posted his L59 marked '39 EK1s. One is a pinback and one a screwback that are marked L59. That is not unusual. The unusual part is that they are both also marked with a "square". The same kind of mark that is seen on the unknown maker "square" marked 1914 EKs and Imperial aviation badges. Thanks to him we now have a known maker for these pieces. Alois Rettenmaier of Parlerstrasse 27 in Schwabisch-Gmund. Here are the links to the the thread in the '39 EK forum and also to the one he has for sale that I spotted.

Dan Murphy

Micha's EKs

Micha's EK for sale

Edited by Daniel Murphy

The Rettenmeier firm used a range of these additional marks, squares, circles, crosses, the tilde (~) - sometimes erroneously described as an "S", I've even had one with a tiny swastika. They are generally accepted as being a QA mark maybe even identifying specific assemblers/finishers/ quality inspectors within the firm, rather than a maker mark as such.

I'd be a little bit cautious about assuming that the presence of the square on an Imperial EK indicates a makers mark from Rettenmeier. Possible of course, but I don't think its cut and dried yet.