News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

New Coast Guard Ribbon Bar

Paul R

The Coast Guard now felt that it needed it's own Presidential Unit Citation Ribbon bar. Until this point, the Coast Guard used the Navy's version.

Here is the new ribbon, with a Hurricane clasp that will be awarded to all members of the Coast Guard involved with the Operations responding to the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

Below is the Navy/Marine Corps Presidential Unit Citation that used to be awarded to the Coast Guard as well. These were not commonly awarded. I only know one person who was awarded this citation in my 16 years in the service.

I suppose that in a way separating The CG from the Navy may have its merits, We have our own personal awards and decorations why not this? The double racing stripe kind of throws me off.

Hi Chief,

You are right about the Coast Guard needing it's own. After all, the Navy PUC is awarded by the President for distinction of a unit in combat. The odds of a Coast Guard unit getting would be very low. I know that we did not get one when I served my two tours.

Definately an interesting design... the whole thing is topped off with the "hurricane device".

Oh... I just found out that EVERYONE in the Coast Guard (including Reservists and Auxillarists) who were in at the time of the hurricane will receive this award. So much for prestige... :banger:

Oh... I just found out that EVERYONE in the Coast Guard (including Reservists and Auxillarists) who were in at the time of the hurricane will receive this award. So much for prestige... :banger:

That puts it at the prestige level of the Coast Guard Bi-centennial ribbon.

Guest Rick Research

And presumably like oakleaf clusters etc etc at some point MULTIPLE hurricane devices will be needed...

given the 400 year weather cycle's tipping point recently, the next 40 years are going to match 1600-40 (golden age of sunken Spanish treasure fleets) so

may need to add NUMBERS before the devices accumulate too fast. :speechless1:

PS... let me get this straight-- you'll get a "Katrina" for being...

in MAINE?

Guest Rick Research

Well, is it an over the right pocket or...

:unsure::speechless1::speechless1::speechless1::speechless1:

have you got to REMOUNT all your ribbons all over AGAIN? :cheeky::cheers:

here is the citation:

The President of the United States takes pleasure in presenting the

PRESIDENTIAL UNIT CITATION to the

UNITED STATES COAST GUARD

for service as set forth in the following

CITATION:

?For meritorious achievement and outstanding performance in action from 29 August to 13 September 2005 in preparation for, and response and recovery to the devastation wrought by Hurricane Katrina. The United States Coast Guard anticipated the potential for significant loss of life and property and, in advance of Hurricane Katrina, relocated its personnel, vessels, and aircraft out of harm?s way. The Coast Guard successfully executed multiple primary missions throughout the Gulf Coast in the wake of the worst natural disaster in United States history. Responding with more than 4,500 personnel, 130 small boats, 4 cutters, and 60 aircraft to devastation and despair across more than 90,000 square miles and 6,400 miles of coastline, the Coast Guard rescued more than 33,000 people, began clean-up operations of 9.4 million gallons of oil, replaced and repaired over 1,800 aids to navigation, and most importantly provided hope to hundreds of thousands displaced citizens through its proactive and vigorous actions. This inspiring response is a direct result of the spirit and practice of operational initiative, positive leadership and courage of the total Coast Guard force of active duty, reserve, auxiliary and civilian members. Every Coast Guard man and woman demonstrated superior professionalism, commitment, humanitarianism, tenacity, tactical acumen, technical expertise, compassion and support while maintaining the highest level of operational readiness. By their outstanding courage, resourcefulness, and aggressive actions under desperate conditions, the members of the United States Coast Guard reflected great credit upon themselves and upheld the highest traditions of the United States of America.

All Coast Guard members are authorized to wear the Presidential Unit Citation ribbon with a special clasp in the form of the internationally recognized ?hurricane symbol?.

For the President,

Secretary of Homeland Security

• 1 month later...

No offense but I don't see a situation where a PUC would be awarded in peace time or for a non-combat role. Wouldn't their Unit Commendation or Outstanding Unit Award be enough?