News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Baden Medal Bar - Period or Modern?

I bought this medal bar last week not becasue I thought it was real, but because I thought it was fake. While I feel it is vital to examine as many legit bars and awards as possible, I feel it is equally importamt to examine copies as well to better understand the differences in construction and styles. At the time I purchased it I felt that the bar was assembled using period parts and awards but after examining it I am not so sure. So, I will post photos and ask for opinions, good or bad.

First, the obverse.

[attachmentid=45049]

The bar follows usual guide lines for assembly - clips are sewn at variuos heights to strips of material which the ribbons cover. The medals all hang on their clips - only the EK and the XV have additional stitching to hold them in place. What is unusal about this bar is that unlike other bars which are sewn so tight you can barely move the awards, everything on this bar is loose - not falling off loose but not tight either. So, I am curious as to what others have to say.

Regards,

Mark

Guest Rick Research

Since this is a pre-Hindenburg Cross medal bar, earlier than 1934, the ribbons should be SILK, not synthetic material.

Are they?

Have you blacklighted the ribbons to see if the white will glow bright electric blue?

It's quite an odd combination, excessive for an NCO, and not one that I can account for by mingled units in one division.

And I have never seen an "umbrella" ribbon over the Baden's idiotic Italian style loop--

I am hoping this is good just for the quirky uniqueness of THAT! :cheeky::beer:

Ah, you guys take all the fun out of everything :P I bought the bar from an honest seller who informed me up front what the bar was. The awards were all original to the bar, but the ribbons were trashed so he replaced them. Some were replaced with period spares, others (the Baden) were replaced with current. The black light was the give away. All told though the bar is very convincing and had he been dishonest could have probably sold the bar for a lot more.

[attachmentid=45203]