News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I take it back... the polar bear was NOT when it was sunk in 44, but was from a British report after the sinking of the steamer Michael E. on June 2nd, 1941!

I honestly dont know what the crew wore as their tradition pin, if they wore any at all.

I did a quick look through my photos and books, as well as the members section of uboat.net, and cant find any pictures of the crew wearing a pin, or even a picture of either the shield or the polar bear on the conning tower!

I will keep digging around though... maybe I will come up with something. :)

So far, not so good... I have found nadda as far as U108 and a tradition pin goes.

But at least we know that early in the boat career, it used the polar bear. I suspect that the shield came after the skipper won the knights cross, or, when the second skipper took over.

• 1 month later...

Hello Vic

U-108 showed both symbols at the same time. The shield was painted at both sides of the conning tower, the polar bear at the front. There is only one photo in my collection showing a cap pin. This is a bit unsharp. But it seems that it was the polar bear too, the pin is too big for the shield.

Best regards

Tiefenmesser

Hello Victor,

here are a few photos from U 108 from my collection. I had a lot of photos from U 108. The next days I will look if I could find a photo from a crewmember with a cap pin.

Best regards,

Monsun