News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

45 Year Anniversary of Great Patriotic War?

Guest Darrell

Guest Darrell

Hi guys ... I got this little guy off coastie a few months ago (free too cheeky ). I assume this is a pin for the 45th anniversay of the Great Patriotic War? You dont see these guys around much.

Guest Rick Research

Yup-- I've never seen this one either, to see who issued it. The literal Last Year of Soviet Communism.

The marking on the back is a typical "no cheating" = Price 59 Kopeks.

Guest Darrell

Yup-- I've never seen this one either, to see who issued it. The literal Last Year of Soviet Communism.

The marking on the back is a typical "no cheating" = Price 59 Kopeks.

Is that what that means? LOL

Guest Rick Research

Yup. Most private group (only the document would tell us who) badges like this have a "fixed price" marked so some crooked middleman could not pocket a few kopeks on selling above the posted price.

document? these type pins were sold at news stands , I've asked many times while in Ukraine and the answer always was , 'if you had the money you could have bought them at the time'....,G.

Edited by "G."

Guest Rick Research

You're right. :beer:

I've been looking through my "Veteran of the XYZ Unit" badges which DO have documents and the ones "issued" (whether their recipients had to PAY for them as well, I don't know) and none of those have the price marker...

So a good indicator of whether something is an "anonymous" veterans group, or a souvenir, would be presence of such a price mark.

Here's an example-- this 50th Anniversary of the Defense of Kiev badge may SEEM just another souvenir item, but it was apparently officially issued, as award booklet to my ex-KGB technical officer Grebennik shows:

Guest Rick Research

Here is another "official" unofficial veterans badge, for the Twice Red Banner Northern Fleet.

There is nothing on the badge itself to date it, or indicate who issued it, but luckily it came in the group of long retired WW2 Engineering Rear Admiral Kaidanov. As well as dating the badge, it at least shows the design too, unlike Grebennik's 1991 Kiev award booklet.