News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Another new medal

Guest Guthroth

Good morning gentlemen

I am afraid I may end up driving you all mad, but as someone pointed out in a thread elsewhere on this board, starting to collect these things is a very slippery slope.

I know this is an 1866 medal from one of the german states, but can you please tell me which one ?

IPB Image

Of course, this re-opens a question I asked earlier, is there a reference book on pre-WW1 'german' medals ? English or German language will do ....

Many thanks,

Pete

. :cheers:

It's Bavarian. Probably the best identification reference for beginners is J?rg Nimmergut's "Orden & Ehrenzeichen 1800-1945" and its companion "B?nderkatalog". For actual information on medals, von Hessenthal & Schreiber's "Honours and Awards of the German States". The Nimmergut volumes can usually be found through Abebooks and the von Hessenthal from the Naval & Military Press, or possibly used from Abebooks. I suggest trying Abebooks first, as the N&MP can be verrry slow delivering. All 3 books are in German.

Edited by Tom Y

Guest Guthroth

It's Bavarian. Probably the best identification reference for beginners is J?rg Nimmergut's "Orden & Ehrenzeichen 1800-1945" and its companion "B?nderkatalog". For actual information on medals, von Hessenthal & Schreiber's "Honours and Awards of the German States". The Nimmergut volumes can usually be found through Abebooks and the von Hessenthal from the Naval & Military Press, or possibly used from Abebooks. I suggest trying Abebooks first, as the N&MP can be verrry slow delivering. All 3 books are in German.

The first and last one are available now, so which one would you recommend to buy first ?

Pete

I'd suggest the Nimmergut. It's pocket sized, so easy to carry when hunting, and the prices, while not necessarily accurate in today's market, give you a rough idea of whether or not you're being "taken". The B?nderkatalog is the i8s the hardest to find, so if you run across one gfrab it and run ;)

A little tip, I covered mine with a clear stick on cover, as it sees a lot of use.

Guest Guthroth

I'd suggest the Nimmergut. It's pocket sized, so easy to carry when hunting, and the prices, while not necessarily accurate in today's market, give you a rough idea of whether or not you're being "taken". The B?nderkatalog is the i8s the hardest to find, so if you run across one gfrab it and run ;)

A little tip, I covered mine with a clear stick on cover, as it sees a lot of use.

Thanks for the information, I found a copy on Abebooks and ordered it :beer:

Pete

Good morning gentlemen

I know this is an 1866 medal from one of the german states, but can you please tell me which one ?

IPB Image

Of course, this re-opens a question I asked earlier, is there a reference book on pre-WW1 'german' medals ? English or German language will do ....

Many thanks, Pete :cheers:

Hallo Pete :beer:

As a probationary member you wont be able to see my Bavarian medals listed under "Collectors Showcase"

so I will attach a picture here showing the correct ribbon. Just found out the bar is a FAKE ;) and the Bavarian cross is on the wrong ribbon (please see posts under for clarification).

The one on yours is for another Bavarian Cross, the WW1 Bavarian Military Merit Class I - III

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Guest Guthroth

As a probationary member you wont be able to see my Bavarian medals listed under "Collectors Showcase" so I will attach a picture here showing the correct ribbon. The one on yours is for another Bavarian Cross.

Any idea how long I will need to wait before coming off the probationers list ? :(

Pete

Kevin,

How did a Bavarian serve with AND against the Austrians in the 1866 war? :unsure:

Dan Murphy

Hallo Dan, :beer:

the glib answer would be, Very carefully or the same way they (Bavarians) served with Napoleon in Russia and then against him, :P but I never realised that the bar represented service on both sides (Must be a FAKE :blush: ) or else he was a super soldier, hopefully Ricky could offer an explanation??

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Guest Rick Research

I don't believe there is any restriction on viewing anything here. Posting scans is the only distinction.

Your 1866 cross is on the WW1 ribbon of a frontline Bavarian Military Merit Order or Cross.

No way, Kev. Blacklighted that puppy? That's not the correct Bavarian 1866 ribbon, either--

the correct 1866 is white with a thick light blue edge on either side, split by a tiny white stripe in the blue. What you've got on there is the Bavarian Napoleonic Wars campaign medal ribbon for military officials!

I don't believe there is any restriction on viewing anything here. Posting scans is the only distinction.

Your 1866 cross is on the WW1 ribbon of a frontline Bavarian Military Merit Order or Cross.

No way, Kev. Blacklighted that puppy? That's not the correct Bavarian 1866 ribbon, either--

the correct 1866 is white with a thick light blue edge on either side, split by a tiny white stripe in the blue. What you've got on there is the Bavarian Napoleonic Wars campaign medal ribbon for military officials!

Hallo Rick, :beer:

thanks for your post, I took the bar out of the display cabinet this afternoon and made a few un-welcome discovery's, now bear in mind that this has been in my collection since about 2001 long before I found the forum and was bought on German Ebay.

Notice anything familiar about the stitching pattern to the rear?

The short piece of "Felt" used to cover the backs of the ribbons?

The cut / snipped brass catch and brass hinge fixed to a steel bar.

And upon close examination of the folds, wads of plain white paper stuffed in to give the shape!!

Yes it seems our "friend" :angry: caught me out many moons ago and I never realised it :banger:

Kevin in Deva :mad:

Edited by Kev in Deva

thanks for your post, I took the bar out of the display cabinet this afternoon and made a few un-welcome discovery's, now bear in mind that this has been in my collection since about 2001 long before I found the forum and was bought on German Ebay.

Notice anything familiar about the stitching pattern to the rear?

The short piece of "Felt" used to cover the backs of the ribbons?

The cut / snipped brass catch and brass hinge fixed to a steel bar.

And upon close examination of the folds, wads of plain white paper stuffed in to give the shape!!

Yes it seems our "friend" :angry: caught me out many moons ago and I never realised it :banger:

Kevin in Deva :mad:

PS sorry Rick I was sure the collections could only be viewed by "full" members :unsure:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Guest Rick Research

Actually I think the metal parts are OK-- all STAMPED and not hand cut. Probably from the 1930s.

I don't recommend poking around at padding in general. :unsure:

It's usually fairly nasty stuff under there, even on originals. Wool waste and all sorts of eewwwwww tucked underneath. :speechless1:

Actually I think the metal parts are OK-- all STAMPED and not hand cut. Probably from the 1930s.

I don't recommend poking around at padding in general. :unsure:

It's usually fairly nasty stuff under there, even on originals. Wool waste and all sorts of eewwwwww tucked underneath. :speechless1:

many thanks for the post, the only thing real then is the actual metal spange?, all the rest, the ribbons, backing felt and the medals are recently put on, also the fact the maker cocked up on the wrong ribbon combination and its definately nasty white paper under the ribbons. :angry:

So the question is: What would forum members advise, leave it alone, remove the offending Bavarian cross / or Konniggratz Cross, and if yes anybody suggest a suitable replacement for the aforementioned crosses.? ? :unsure:

Kevin in Deva :beer: