News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest Rick Research

Ohhhhhhhhhkay, I'll bite:

and the "good" "reason" for pulling the last four awards out of the ribbon drapes and then idiotically resewing them waaaaay tooooooo loooowwwww (except for the Red eagle, which has freakishly got ITS ring looped too high OVER the 3rd class upgrade's mini bow)onto the bow bottoms so that they are dangling down swingy-clanky-chippy AND reversed for the last three was ...

what? :speechless1::speechless1::speechless1::speechless1::speechless1::speechless1::speechless1:

Ohhhhhhhhhkay, I'll bite:

and the "good" "reason" for pulling the last four awards out of the ribbon drapes and then idiotically resewing them waaaaay tooooooo loooowwwww (except for the Red eagle, which has freakishly got ITS ring looped too high OVER the 3rd class upgrade's mini bow)onto the bow bottoms so that they are dangling down swingy-clanky-chippy AND reversed for the last three was ...

what? :speechless1::speechless1::speechless1::speechless1::speechless1::speechless1::speechless1:

Rick,

I honestly don't know, I'm very ignorant when it comes to these things, but could part of it be because those last 4 medals aren't the original ones that were on the bar? :unsure:

Guest Brian von Etzel

I was thinking of sewing the bow onto my grandfather's bar, now that I how GOOD it looks I think I will. Maybe some of last Christmas's lefotvers also. Nice.

Edited by Brian von Etzel

Hi Stogie-Rick,

this bar was sold in the last Thies auction, 1900,- EUR, wasn't it. A beautiful combination.

The wearer got the crown order 2. class, too, and so he pulled the 3. class away. When he died, maybe his family sent all the other prussian orders back to the Ordenskanzlei.

Werner

I was thinking of sewing the bow onto my grandfather's bar, now that I how GOOD it looks I think I will. Maybe some of last Christmas's lefotvers also. Nice.

I happened to be looking at some postcards just now and in one of Adolf Wild von Hohenborn, I believe that he has actually attached a bow above his Red Eagle Order. I never would have even looked if not for this thread, but apparently it was done... I guess... :unsure:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Edited by KeithB

Guest Rick Research

The little "bow tie" bow over a Red Eagle 3rd was the regulation (bizarre, but regulation) indicator that it was a promotion up from a replaced 4th Class (though why they then did not ALSO do this for the Prussian Crown Order... oh well)

but what is NOT "in Ordnung" on the medal bar in this thread is hanging the cross's suspension loop which should be UNDER the ribbon AROUND said bow on top of the ribbon.

Guest Darrell

Hmmm, that mounting looks a little too "ghetto" for me. I just finished mounting up my uncle's replacement spange, and I'm no Ordensjuwelier, but mine looks way better than that.

Maybe put together during Oktoberfest !!!! :cheers::beer:

Guest Brian von Etzel

I happened to be looking at some postcards just now and in one of Adolf Wild von Hohenborn, I believe that he has actually attached a bow above his Red Eagle Order. I never would have even looked if not for this thread, but apparently it was done... I guess... :unsure:

IPB Image

IPB Image

I have a great photo of my grandfather on horse reviewing troops and his bar clearly shows the ribbon. What I would not do no is cob it onto the bar just because I happen to have the bow lying around. Pardon my dry sense of humor. I think reconditioned bars are great, but they need to be done right. Not that I could do it myself but I'd figure out how to get the medal up and into the bar itself and not tack it onto the ribbon with a needle and thread.

Believe the suggestion the medals were given back upon death of the recipient to be the most accurate description of this bar's past and now it needs to be put back together with some care.