News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Spain will reparations to victims of the Spanish Civil War

Riley1965

Interesting subject and one that will raise stirring debate.

I read with interest, the conservative view. As the conservatives of Spain are mostly pro-Franco,no wonder when the bill speaks of

The bill also bans symbols and references to the 1939-75 Franco regime in public buildings and asks local and regional governments to rename streets or plazas that are named after the former dictator or refer to his regime.

they come up with crap like

"Spain has to look at the future and resolve the problems that people are really interested in. The vast majority of Spaniards don't want to talk about the civil war or Franco."

Umm, what they are really saying is they want all connections to Franco left in place.

You can still see such connections in Spain today. In Conservative areas, such as Salamanca, you can still see the Falange symbol on buildings and references to Franco in street-names. They also have a relief of his head in the Plaza Mayor which is continuously being vandalised and subsequently repaired.

It would be interesting for our Spanish members to give their view point.

Rich

Edited by Richard Gordon

Interesting enough, I was in Chile in March 2006, on the occasion of an international manifestation.

There were flags of the participating countries including Spain...

The organisers displayed this one for Spain...

Ch.

• 2 weeks later...

When the Spanish team won a championship in Australia some years ago (perhaps a tennis championship, I can not recall correctly right now), the 1931-1936 Republican anthem was played... surprising both Spanish authorities and staff. Do you think Australian government is left-winged and pro-Republican Spain?

What is more, when the Spanish soldiers of the Blue Division sworn loyalty to the swastika-fitted German flag to fight Russian communism, the German military band played the 1931-1936 Republican anthem. I don't know the political agenda of the Australian government, but I am sure the Nazi Germany government was not left-winged and pro-Republican Spain.

Those are unnintentional mistakes. It is very difficult to keep updated the information about political changes in other countries. Don't complicate matters for subtleties. Or, as we say in our country, "no busqueis los 5 pies al gato" :Cat-Scratch:

I'm confused myself. :speechless: The Crown would indicate Royalty while the Eagle a Republic.

:beer: Doc

The Saint John's eagle is not related to a Republic whatsoever... It was adopted by the Catholic Kings of Spain in the XVth century and re-adopted by General Franco for the Nationalist Spain crest in 1938.