News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What decoration is this (Prussian / Hohenzollern)?

Princely House Order of Hohenzollern Cross 3rd Class with Crown and Swords. The narrowly tapering base of the crown is consistent with the princely crown of Hohenzollern. The OZL is also consistent with an officer in F?silier-Regiment F?rst Karl Anton von Hohenzollern (Hohenzollernsches) Nr.40.

Thanks Dave! I had seen the reference to the 3rd class with crown and swords on your website this afternoon, but didn't want to get overly optimistic that it was something that uncommon.

I'm still in mourning after hearing the antique dealer mention that he recently sold the trio of [loose] medals that came along this this ribbon bar. Hearing him refer to the crown & swords device as an "oak leaf cluster" makes me wonder just how those medals were priced.

:unsure:

Does this look like the sort of combination that might be identifiable? (One can hope.)

--Chris

I think with only these 3 awards, it would be stretch to pin him down since most WW1 awards are invisible until the 1920's. If he survived that far, maybe but he would probably have additional awards. A shame to have missed the loose pieces... I would have been curious to see if they were "bargains"!

I think with only these 3 awards, it would be stretch to pin him down since most WW1 awards are invisible until the 1920's. If he survived that far, maybe but he would probably have additional awards. A shame to have missed the loose pieces... I would have been curious to see if they were "bargains"!

The sheer rarity of that grade of the Hohenzollern decoration was what gave me the most hope. I was able to convince the dealer to knock down his original "sticker price" on the bar (from $65 to $50), although it was the EK device of all things that caused him to put the price on it that he did. It was labeled as a "WWI Knight's Cross Ribbon Bar". I probably shouldn't have expected more, as the dealer referred to the crown & swords device as an "oak leaf cluster". :rolleyes:

--Chris

Edited by landsknechte

Hi Chris,

Very nice ribbon bar. Just an info, the X and crown are in silver or not ? If it is in silver it is the first time I see such cross in silver. Usually we find these device in gold. :P

Regards

Christophe

There's a very minute chance that it was intended to be gold. The device itself is made of silver, and there is what appears to be the faintest hint of gold coloration in that bit of metal between the crown and the swords. I'm almost positive that's patina however, as there's none of that color present anywhere else on the device. There's a lot of wear on the bar, but I would expect to see some remnant of that color on the sides of the device.

--Chris

I would like to add one more example to the discussion for comment on grade of award and devices.

What you've got is a Weimar-era veteran's decoration that looks striking like the ribbon of the Princely Hohenzollern. If I remember correctly, the medal itself looks a LOT like a HHOX.

From left to right:

1. 1914 EK

2. Prussian Kriegserinnerungskreuz - 2nd Class

3. Kyffhaeuserbund

4. Prussian Sanitaetskreuz - 2nd Class

5. Austrian Ehrenlegion

6. Hungarian WWI Commemorative

He'd only have #1 and #6 that he could still wear after the introduction of the Hindenburg Cross.

--Chris

Edited by landsknechte

• 1 month later...

Just on a lark, since the mini-EK device is so heavily Saxon in flavor, would that help in any way to narrow it down?