News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Here is a great document group that I was lucky enough to get off the WAF estand. It finally made it to Brooklyn yesterday and I was very pleased to say the least. It is to a sailor who served on U-106 of 2. Unterseebootsflottille. The boat ultimately went on 10 patrols from January 1941 through August 1943. This particular sailor, Matrosenobergefrieter Friedrich Rein, probably joined the boat's crew sometime in 1942 and received his U-boat badge in December of that year. The doc is the "second" type and includes U-106 in light pencil on two different parts of the doc.

post-1144-069898300 1288701755_thumb.jpg

After being led by two different commanders since 1941, the boat was commanded by Wolf-Dietrich Damerow as of June, 1943. He took the boat out for its tenth patrol (and his first as commander) on July 28, 1943. On August 1st the boat was attacked by a Canadian Wellington bomber. the plane dropped depth charges and tracked the boat until more planes could arrive. The boat was sunk the next day, but not before Damerow was able to call for support. Two German torpedo boats arrived in time to rescue Damerow and 35 of his men. However, 22 sailors were lost. Among the survivors was Rein, who was awarded a Black Wound Badge and the Iron Cross Second Class for his experience.

post-1144-081822600 1288701878_thumb.jpg

Finally, in October 1944, Rein was awarded his Uboat Frontspange in Bronze. Now, I don't really know what for but it appears that he was back in the service of a Uboat, this time in the Baltic Sea. Perhaps it will take a letter to Mr. Bredow to find out.

This is only my third Uboat group but I try and wait for special ones. This one really caught my eye given the fact that he was a survivor and was actually awarded a BWB as a result of the action. I can't recall seeing this type of group too often before. I can only imagine what a frightening experience it was - to be survivor of an Uboat that resulted in the death of 22 of one's crew!

post-1144-017721700 1288702230_thumb.jpg

After being led by two different commanders since 1941, the boat was commanded by Wolf-Dietrich Damerow as of June, 1943. He took the boat out for its tenth patrol (and his first as commander) on July 28, 1943. On August 1st the boat was attacked by a Canadian Wellington bomber. the plane dropped depth charges and tracked the boat until more planes could arrive. The boat was sunk the next day, but not before Damerow was able to call for support. Two German torpedo boats arrived in time to rescue Damerow and 35 of his men. However, 22 sailors were lost. Among the survivors was Rein, who was awarded a Black Wound Badge and the Iron Cross Second Class for his experience.

Nice group, but the wound bage is super! t2032.gif