News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Wehrpass Infantry - WIA Eastern Front 2 Awards

Otto Fischer was born on the 29.11.1906 in Neustein / Posen (german until 1918, then polish until 1939). He was a railway worker. In February 1943 he was called up for service and posted to the eastern front, where he was wounded after only a few weeks of service, after recovering from his wound he was released in May 1944.

His units:

06.02.1943: Stammkompanie Landes–Schützen–Ersatz–Bataillon 2

18.02.1943: 2./ Landes–Schützen–Ausbildungs–Bataillon 2

31.03.1943: Stammkompanie Landes–Schützen–Ersatz–Bataillon 2

03.04.1943: Marsch–Kompanie Grenadier–Ersatz–Bataillon 368

24.04.1943: Marsch–Bataillon 302/1

05.05.1943: 2./ Feld–Ersatz–Bataillon 302

04.06.1943: 1./ Grenadier–Regiment 572

01.10.1943: Genesenden–Kompanie Grenadier–Ersatz–Bataillon 373

15.05.1944: Heeresentlassungsstelle 1/XXI Posen

He was trained with Gewehr 98, Gewehr 301(f) (this is the former french Lebel M86/93), MG 26(t) and MG 34.

For his serious wound he received the full "package" of awards and other recognitions: a promotion to Gefreiter effective 01.07.1943, the Verwundetenabzeichen in Silber on 14.07.1943, and an Eisernes Kreuz II. Klasse on 02.11.1943.

Edited by turtle

Unfortunately the clerk missed to specify the combat operation he was wounded in.

Although Otto Fischer was scarred by the war, he was, most probably, still lucky, because Grenadier Regiment 572 was wiped out in August 1944 during the soviet summer offensive.

Edited by turtle

Nice example. Chances are that he suffered such a wounding that a limb had to be amputated. The shortest time span I have ever seen between someone joining their first front line unit and being killed is just 2 days but even with 3 months you have to wonder if anyone had bothered to get to know him at all?

Probably not the way he thought (or hoped) he would end up earning an Iron Cross!

I second that! But in my humble opinion it´s still better to lose a leg than your life. Of course getting out unscratched is always the way to prefer!!!!

• 4 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...