News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Very interesting units Tunic....

The regiment was newly formed in Bulgaria in October of 1916 as a Jäger regiment consisting of three battalions of Jägers, two of which were Prussian (7th and 9th Jäger Batls.) and one Bavarian (b.Res.Jäger Batl.Nr.1).

In 1917 the Bavarian Kriegsministerium officially named it, "29.Inf.Rgt.(Jäger Regiment)".

I believe they fought the Turks (their supposed allies) over the oil fields.

Chip

• 1 month later...

Interesting picture and information thanks gents,, look at his eyes not that I'd know he looks to have seen the horror, or he drinks a lot. It also brings up a question do you think generally they made a point of a soldier wearing the correct kokarde on a mütze in the front lines?

Eric

• 5 months later...

The regiment was newly formed in Bulgaria in October of 1916 as a Jäger regiment consisting of three battalions of Jägers, two of which were Prussian (7th and 9th Jäger Batls.) and one Bavarian (b.Res.Jäger Batl.Nr.1).

In 1917 the Bavarian Kriegsministerium officially named it, "29.Inf.Rgt.(Jäger Regiment)".

I believe they fought the Turks (their supposed allies) over the oil fields.

Chip

According to this site - https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/29._Bayerisches_Infanterie-Regiment_(Jäger-Regiment) formed on the 25th October to be precise!

Eric has a point.... Prussian Kokarde with Bavarian Buttons....

Well, I am not so sure it is a Prussian cockade... Some of those Bavarian cockades are rather deep blue and that, plus the angle the photograph was taken, might just account for it looking more black than blue...

That aside, I would think this is a late war period photograph on account of the absence of any Bavarian collar piping - but that is just conjecture on my part. I know that Bavarian units still had these in the early part of the GW, but don't recall when they stopped wearing them.

Well, I am not so sure it is a Prussian cockade... Some of those Bavarian cockades are rather deep blue and that, plus the angle the photograph was taken, might just account for it looking more black than blue...

That aside, I would think this is a late war period photograph on account of the absence of any Bavarian collar piping - but that is just conjecture on my part. I know that Bavarian units still had these in the early part of the GW, but don't recall when they stopped wearing them.

Hello,

Here is a comparison between a Bavarian and  Prussian prong backed cap cockade. As anyone can see, they're not even close. Even in a black and white photo like this they are easily differentiated by the location of the white rings.

The Bavarian Rautenborte was introduced with their new uniform regulations in 1916 (if anyone needs the exact date, let me know). In the final months of 1917, it was ordered reduced to just a vertical strip on the front edges of the collar. This change was supposed to be in effect for the duration of the war, but in practice, many later war Bavarian tunics never had it applied. Of course, it was worn in the field, but period photos of this are few compared with photos of Bavarians without it.

img159.jpg

Thanks - I was working from memory - slap wrists and remind myself not to do so again... Of course the Bavarian cockade never had a solid centre...

Incidentally though, I have noticed that in photographs, Baravian cockades often / always seem that little bit larger than the national cockades and when Bavarians are shown with men from other States, those of the Bavarians again also look larger than the other state cockades, which is the case with the what you show in the post above. I have never really looked into it - but is that really the case? Are they just that little bit larger than everybody elses?

Trajan,

The Bavarian issue cockades are a bit larger and the white outer ring stands out making them look even larger in photos, where most other contingents that have darker rings. Here are two of the issue sew-on types for comparison. Interestingly, Saxon issue sew-on cockades are smaller than Prussian and all other state's versions.

Chip

img162.jpg

• 3 months later...
    On 1/2/2015, 10:59:46, Chip said:

The 9th Jäger battalion or the Reserve 9th? - I was under the impression that the regular 9th Batl. was

never part of a Jäger regiment.

I understand this is a gentleman's group - I hope the moderators don't object to my postings.

Hi,

We always welcome discussion, thats what the point of the forum is. You are correct, the 29th was set up as follows...

The 29. B.I.R. (Jg.-R.) was an anomaly. Formed in 1916 with the Bayerisches Reserve Jäger Bataillon Nr. 1, IV. Batl. bayerisches Reserve Infanterie Regiment Nr. 4 and the III./Reserve Infanterie Regiment Nr. 79 as the 29. B.I.R. In October 1916 the IV./b.R.I.R. Nr. 4 left to join the 25. B.I.R. and the III./R.I.R. Nr. 79 joined the R.I.R. 440.

The Staff and the b. Res. Jäg. Btl. Nr. 1 (designated as III. Batl.) left for Romanian where they were joined by the Res.-Jg.-Btl. Nr. 7  (Designated I. Batl.) and the Res.-Jg.-Batl. Nr. 9 (Designated II. Batl.). In November 1917 it was renamed “29. b.I.R. (Jäger-Regiment)”

In August 1918 the b. Res. Jäg. Btl. Nr. 1 left to form the b. Jäger-Regiment Nr. 15 The commander of the 29. B.I.R. (Jäger Regiment) was Oberst Aschauer of the 8. B.I.R. the battalion commander I./ Major von der Gröben , II./ Hauptmann Schneider , III. / Major Scheuring.