News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My 1/72* Wargaming men, armour, and veh

Laurence Strong

I have made models since I can remeber, I quit while I was going thru my formative years....you know ....drinking....partying.....chasing women...then started again when I started living with my future (at the time) wife.

I always liked 172 - 176 scale and started making them again. At that time I was playing alot of ASL. and loved to make up units with the tokens and have my own war. It eventually carried over into my model making. In 1980 I started with Airfix's kit of the 25lbr and the Afrika Korps recce set, IO also had Matchbox's 251 ausf A and their T34. Ovger the years I have added Fujimi, Esci, Revell....etc.

I always had a conflict on what size I was going to use for units, I have always enjoyed being a Soviet tank commander on the rampage in the rear. Thus supply and rear ech units are a major part of my units. I have gone for 6 - 12 veh per div, it also swung to the other extreme of 1 : 1, but that proved impractical, then came the internet and Google.

Where Panzers Dare one of the sites if found and studied thier OOB's

Another was Spearhead:

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/Spearhead/

And finally I found a fellow Canadian Artillery member who had designed his own game called "Battle Game" with an OOB I have followed and somewhat adapted.

The basic and bottom line is 3=1 and all rounding is done down, i.e. most German WW2 Arty Bty's had 4 guns (tube's) and with these rules that means 1 howitzer base for a Bty

One nice side effect of this I have noticed lately is that this lends itself quite nicely for 1

So on to the basics

In this case a Romanian (HaT) plt. all plts have 3 bases and for the most part the rule is a Comd base usually with the right hand man with a SMG and usually has the grenade man, then you have as rifle support base, and a LMG base. however as most of it depends on what abox of 50 will provide, sometimes the LMG is replaced with a different base usually some sort of AT.

Edited by Paul R

• Replies 71
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A plt from a PzGdr company. Some of these men are verging on 25 yrs old, and as my reaserch material grew, my paint jobs grew more accurate, however after a while I quit re-painting and so there are some uniform variations.

This plt is from GD and as an elite unit they get a 9th man and each plt has an integral AT weapon.

Edited by Laurence Strong

Ok got new photo's and here goes.

This is a plt from an SS PzGdr Bn also showing the elite status in men and weapons, these guys have a bit of a shine to them, from the watered down coat of Acrylic matte medium I apply to try and save the paint job as they are excpected to be handled.

US Inf plt, when I first started doing these we lived quite a ways from civilization and you used what paint was available at the hardware or Drug store, most times it was Testors, and I used to have to drive to Edmonton or calgary to get my paints, I was and still am to an extent a big Humbrol fan as there color range was phenomenal 25 yrs ago

Here is a Soviet inf plt. Now that I have decided what size etc, I am in the process of basing them so there's more to come with vehicles and Artillery and Armour. I also have a love and fascination with the napoleonic era, but thats for another thread someday, those take a lot longer to paint :(

Soviet SMG tank riding plt, each Tank Bde gets a company of these to use on the rear line rampages, this is the only type of unit that does not get heavy wpns on a company level. If at any time you wish to see something closer let me know and i will try. Feel free to give your opinions and critiques. :cheers: