News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ribbon bar and badge question

hello, I've a proposition: first, on the right is a brevet for long service in the soviet navy.

On the left the first ribon could be a campaign medal. 3rd, 4th and 5th could be 30 years, 40 years of soviet army and an irreprochable service 3rd class. I haven't the slightest idea about the 2nd ribon...

Edited by seb16trs

Guest Rick Research

Yes, the long service "wings" which I've never seen worn WITH the M1958 long service medals before. 2nd Ribbon is 1957 Leningrad Jubilee.

Soooooo, how did he have a "Defense of..." Medal with NO Victory of either military or labor type?

Given the 1957 Jubilee and the residence of this family in Leningrad from your other posts, I'd safely wager the first ribbon is a Defense of Leningrad.

But still a puzzle as to why no Victory

unless maybe he was UNDERAGE for those but somehow entitled to the Defense, much as the VERY odd case of the American Asiatic Pacific Campaign Medal being given to all civilian internees of the Japanese-- including BABIES?

Yes, the long service "wings" which I've never seen worn WITH the M1958 long service medals before. 2nd Ribbon is 1957 Leningrad Jubilee.

hello Rick, I was wondering about the 250 years of Leningrad too... but wasn'it in the LAST position in theory? Or what was its position following 1950ies regulations?

so we would have at the date of the photo: Leningrad defense - leningrad 250 years foundation - 30 years of soviet forces - 40 years ofd soviet forces and a 3rd class of irreprochable service. :cheers:

That seems a good working theory. I, too, find teh absence of a victory medal odd. I shall take a shot at getting some records, but have limited hopes. A shame this photo -- after he did some trimming of his lip-fur -- has the "stamp-goes-here" white circle where it is.

Guest Rick Research

The above party invitation ("8 PM 5 August 1959") and the 10 years service medal, are from the Naval School of Submarines "in the name of Leninsky Komsomol" which was also a popular submarine name.

Alan Arkin in "The Off Islanders?" :rolleyes:

The above party invitation ("8 PM 5 August 1959") and the 10 years service medal, are from the Naval School of Submarines "in the name of Leninsky Komsomol" which was also a popular submarine name.

Alan Arkin in "The Off Islanders?" :rolleyes:

On the list for my next (ha ha) visit:

http://www.russianmuseums.info/M1983

These ribbons are easy (sorry for not popping in before)....

Defense of Leningrad

Labor Victory

30 Years of Soviet Armed Forces

40 Years of Soviet Armed Forces

Irreproachable Service 3rd Class

Hope that helps!

Dave

Guest Rick Research

Labor Victory would make sense, but that's got to be a 1957 Leningrad from the contrast:

a Labor Victory looks two toned--

While the 1957 Jubilee shows the Lenin stripes and darker edges, with white edges that do not match the central stripe (4th row 2nd on left)--

All I can think of is that he was "underage" for the Victories (?) but had the required time in as a teenager doing war work... ?

Guest Rick Research

I've been wondering for years how my triple documented MMM/Sevastapol/Caucasus NO VICTORIES (the one that no research ever came back on) was "possible," but here's Ed with Mustache Piotr here with a Defense and no Victory, too!

Guest Rick Research

BTW, ? propos of the Soviet submarine force and the psychological (psychiatric? :rolleyes: ) origins of my collecting following taking Russian in school for The Inevitable Day (that luckily never came)--

it all probably dates back to seeing the film version on Cape Cod when it was released ("current events" chirruns, ""history" is today, tomorrow) and having missed the GERMAN Uboat menace...

oddly enough the famous Worcester, MA born Hollywood comedian of the 1930s/40s (a kinder gentler Dennis Leary, past whose house I walked getting my '66 Buick repaired in college there--always wondered if my sidewalk rantings inspired him when he grew up :catjava: ) Robert Benchley was 3rd cousin and contemporary to pioneer of American rocketry (with its own influence on submarine weaponry), Worcester born Professor Robert Goddard-- BOTH being more distantly related to fellow Worcester-born Yrs Truly (my great-grandparents from there being contemporaries as well, prouder of Funny Cousin Benchley than Strange Cousin Goddard), and whose widow I knew while attending college in classrooms where the Professor taught.

Robert Benchley's son Nathaniel being responsible for "The Off Islanders" (and thus ultimately for my collecting of Things Soviet-- or Sudden Insight-- perhaps it was really Theodore Bickel, after all-- he having skippered IMPERIAL GERMAN ("African Queen") AND SOVIET vessels in movies from my yout'. Hmmmmmmmmmm) while HIS son Peter is more currently famous as the author of "Jaws" and other Deep Sea Ickies.

I know, I know. You are thinking

"Wow! How could one grimy Swede-filled backwoods wire-mill town have produced FOUR colossal talents of the 20th Century-- Goddard, Benchley, Research, AND Leary? And THREE of the Immortal Quartet blood kin! No way!"

But truth is stranger than fiction, folks. (humble smilie)

Emergency! Everybody to get from streets!!

Thus genealogy resolves the scratching of inner demons without costly long term "therapy." :cheeky: