News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Oldest Lieutenant in the KGB

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

Leitenant Noga's various award documents have been sprinkled hither and thither in threads about specific awards, but here is his "complete" group of surviving paperwork all in one thread dedicated just to him.

1) Victory Over Germany: special heavy cover red award booklet

as given only to participants in the ceremonial 24 June 1945 grand Victory Parade in Moscow. To Senior Sergeant (Starshy Sergeant) 14 June 1945, serial # 0030398.

Signed by Hero of the Soviet Union Major General ?Rodian(ov?), Commander of 77th ?SSK? Rifle Division. Very dingy worn condition, but quite scarce, several private telephone numbers written inside, including one in the General?s handwriting.

Guest Rick Research

2) 1965 Victory Jubilee Medal:

as (2nd) Lieutenant, Serial # A 2275285 no day filled in, October 1965, signed by Lieutenant General Commanding Ukrainian SSR KGB, with his stamp.

3) Ministry of Defense 1970 Victory Jubilee Badge:

as Lieutenant with nothing to indicate KGB status. Note that rank was as of 1970, not wartime.

4) 1975 Victory Jubilee Medal:

as Lieutenant of the Reserve, issued 5 November 1975 by ?Balashov,? CO of Pechersky district of Kiev Military Commissariat.

Guest Rick Research

5) 1958 Armed Forces Jubilee Medal:

still as Senior Sergeant (Starshy Sergeant) (13 years at least in rank !!!!!???) issued 30 October 1958 with signature of Major General, Deputy Commander of Ukrainian SSR KGB, and stamp.

6) 1968 Armed Forces Jubilee Medal:

Lieutenant, issued 15 February 1968, signed by Colonel-General Commanding Ukrainian SSR KGB, with stamp.

Guest Rick Research

and finally

7) 1978 Armed Forces Jubilee Medal:

as Lieutenant Retired, issued 21 February 1979 by Major General commander of Kiev KGB.

Missing his World War Two and pre 1958 long service decorations, his 1948 Jubilee, KGB Long Service Medal(s) (perhaps 15 and 20), and perhaps a 1970 Lenin Centennial?he seems to still have been on active duty then. His ?wide stripe? Master Sergeant rank (same in 1945 and 1958!) then jump over Sergeant Major (Starshina), Warrant Officer, and Junior (?3rd?) Lieutenant to (2nd) Lieutenant between 1958 and 1965 is surprising. Several documents mangle his unfamiliar patronymic, Selivestrovich (Sylvester-son).

He may have been a driver or similar headquarters type senior NCO promoted to long career junior officer rank.

Hi Rick,

I'm very much a newcomer to Soviet research, but is there any way to get research done on individuals like this through the current Russian authorities without having this person's various order numbers handy? I mean research in their archives based on name, rank, hometown, other pertienant information? I'm just curious about this.

-Andrew

Are you sure? Our researcher once wrote to me:

"I need either his/her FULL (which means last, first AND patronimic names) name or the name of the award (ie "Bravery medal") and its serial number. Additionally the year and the place of birth of the recipient and date of awarding (either one or both of them) are very helpful but not required."

Ed, why is it "very, very unlikely"? Is this your own experience with researching by name?

Yes, my experience, but I have had mixed research experiences over the past year or so (as, I think, have many).

If KGB, unlikely. Some do turn up. Despite common knowledge.

Have a long-pending naval request by name out, I shall see . . . .

Guest Rick Research

Since there is never a date or place of birth on ANY form of Soviet award paperwork-- like these medal certificates, or even in an Orders Book (where such data would have been rational and efficient)

no hope whatsoever.

I have NEVER had or seen any Soviet awards where date and place of birth were known BEFORE research was done on awards.

I don't know where Lt. Noga was born or when. Nobody ever will. That's the way these things come to us. That's life!

Ok, it's likely that KGB won't yield results, but still - year and the place of birth are helpful, not required. I still don't see why there's "no hope whatsoever". I'm planning to submit a name for research and don't see why I should be sceptical about receiving results.

...no hope whatsoever...

Rick,

I am afraid that you are mistaken on this point. Research is possible, it even happens to be the most straightforward way to conduct it. Researching by award number means first IDing who the awardee was, then (surprize, surprize) conducting a regular search by name.

Marc

Anyway, when I think about it, submitting a name, dob and hometown to the US archives won't get you anywhere in retrieving records...unless you're blessed with an archivist who is passionate about their work and with records that haven't been carelessly destroyed over the years. The Soviets really scored a victory in the Cold War if their archives are as intact as some of the threads on here suggest. I was curious as to the extent of what can and cannot be retrieved.

Anyway, when I think about it, submitting a name, dob and hometown to the US archives won't get you anywhere in retrieving records...unless you're blessed with an archivist who is passionate about their work and with records that haven't been carelessly destroyed over the years. The Soviets really scored a victory in the Cold War if their archives are as intact as some of the threads on here suggest. I was curious as to the extent of what can and cannot be retrieved.

Andwwils,

You can't compare the record keeping in the former USSR with anything else. Their archives are simply amazing :speechless1:

Marc