News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Monster Ribbon Bar!! MORE HELP PLEASE

Looks quite right to me....

And very nice!

1914 Prussian EK2 with nice '39 Repeat Award Spange

1939 War Merit Cross, Second Class w. Swords

1941 East Medal

Imperial Baden Z?hringen Lion, Knight's Cross w. swords (RK1, RK2??)

Imperial W?rttemburg Friedrich's Order, Knight's Cross w. Swords (RK1, RK2??)

Imperial Hamburg Hanseatic Cross (check back, if blueish center than it's Hesse!)

Imperial Austrian Military Merit Cross w. War Decoration

Honor Cross for Combattants

Heer/KM Long Service Pair

Olympic's Honor Cross (not medal!)

West Wall Defense Medal

Hungarian WW1 Commemorative Service Medal

??? on last one

Guest Rick Research

Last one (assuming there aren't MORE "off stage right!" :speechless1: ) is the Order of the Crown of Italy which-- if correctly "deviced" is for the Officer Class. Here it is tweaked to as near actual life size as I can make it:

[attachmentid=14000]

Number of ribbons was limited by not projecting beyond the tunic flap and armpit-- by which I would take this wearer for a VLII. (Very Large Individual Indeed).

I did NOT find any match in the Reichsheer or Reichsmarine which means

1) somebody who served in the Polizei during the Weimar Republic and then went back into the army, youngish

2) somebody with an old Imperial XXV (remember, 1914-18 counted double, so could have joined circa 1902) who was back as an over the hill (E) retread or

and this would be my best GUESS at this point, until Glenn or Bernhard can check their Army Generals biography from Biblio and see if he is showing his ribbon bar---

3) the "?M3K" wreath device in front of the Hindenburg Cross X is WRONG (he shows a Bronze Bravery Medal in the 1924 and 1928 Rank Lists, but otherwise is the SOLE Baden/W?rttemberg/Hamburg/Austro-Hungarian "match")

Edgar FEUCHTINGER, born 1894, army 1914 (just squeaked in for a 25), was involved in army assistance with the Nuremberg Party Rallies (which may explain the 1936 Olympics 2nd Class), was apparently NOT involved in the "flowers campaigns" but WOULD have been a good candidate for a Westwall (CO Art Regt 26 in 26 Inf Div, VI Corps, Rhineland 1937-39), did serve in Russia 1941/42 (as Commander of Art Regt 227 in 227 Inf Div), got a German Cross in Silver (bizarre) as commander of an unspecified "Armored Artillery Brigade" in 1943, and was the commander (Generalmajor 1.8.43, Generalleutnant 1.8.44) of 21st Panzer Division. His absence on the Fateful Day in Normandy because he was off enjoying his girlfriend's "company" left the division rudderless in the early crucial hours of the invasion.

IF his portrait shows a matching ribbon bar combination, BINGO #3.

If not, the possibilities are with the unfindable #1 or #2.

However, the Officer grade Italian Order (assuming the device on that IS correct, since the Austro-Hungarian one would not be if it's him) suggests a Major, which is where Feuchtinger would have been for 1936-37 kissy-faces with Mussolinian Italy. (Oberstleutnant 1.8.37)

The other possibilities are that this Italian Order belonged to a Choice #2 from pre-1915, in which case the options suggest W?rttemberg's Inf Rgt 126 (named after the Grand Duke of Baden as honorary "Chiefs")-- but there was no OCI4 holder there then.

My money's on Naughty Feuchtinger.

3) the "?M3K" wreath device in front of the Hindenburg Cross X is WRONG (he shows a Bronze Bravery Medal in the 1924 and 1928 Rank Lists, but otherwise is the SOLE Baden/W?rttemberg/Hamburg/Austro-Hungarian "match")

The rank lists may be wrong. The Bronze Bravery Medal was an enlisted man's award. Unless he got it before August 1915, when he was still a Fahnenjunker.

Alternatively, he and other Germans who received the Bravery Medal as officer candidates might have simply decided to "grade up" the award to befit their officer status.

This picture shows him with two rows of ribbons, but is too fuzzy to make out a lot of detail:

Edited by Dave Danner

Guest Rick Research

Moose sighting! Moose sighting!!!! :cheers:

That is a very good start indeed--

1) it confirms that he HAD this many ribbons (I'd say being worn 7 over 7 here)

2) it confirms from his KVK1X that he HAD the KVK2X

3) it confirms (a given for an officer of his rank and seniority) that he had Spangen to both 1914 EKs

4) I'd know the dark "smootch" of an Ostmedaille being worn in third place anywhere :ninja:

I agree about the unlikelihood of the Bronze Bravery Medal-- would have had to have squeezed into that 6 months period as an officer cadet... but that's what both Rank Lists say. I've found many a one issue typo (and lost years missed on an ID because I neglected to double check the same man in another edition), but over five years would be peculiar. Anybody with other Ranglisten to cross check Edgar's entries?

so it looks better and better for Amorous Edgar as the original owner of this ribbon bar.

:jumping:

Guest WAR LORD

Well all I can say is THANK YOU ALL, what AMAZING detective work. I thought I could come up with the odd good explanation but this is OUT OF SIGHT. The bar with others have been in a collection for a very long time I am currently working on the items. By the way there is a German Cross in silver. If this goses with the bar will be lost in time. But very well could do. I will post a pic. Also I will have a go at the reverse of the bar.

Guest Rick Research

Glenn just sent me the Biblio series portrait, which I have tweakified using my Amazing Ricky Powers and this :speechless1::speechless1:

is the best that can be derived from it

[attachmentid=14060]

It is indeed 7 over 7 as worn here:

1) EK2 1914 with Spange

2) KVK2X

3) 1941/42 East Medal

4) WW1 award note ghost of Xs angles

5) same as 4

6) Hamburg Hanseatic

7) yes indeedy folks that is an ?M3K-- I :P can "clearly" see the rounded curve at the bottom of a wreath device

8) Honor Cross X

9) Wehrmacht Long service (ghost eagle angles)

10) ditto

11) yes indeedy folks the ghost of a THIRD "Wehrmacht" eagle

12) dark ribbon with no device whichch fits being a Westwall

13) ghost swords on light ribbon fits Hungarian WW1

14) even I can't be sure of that one, but betcha it's the OCI

Positions match, number of awards match, three eagles match--

[attachmentid=14061]

absent a CLEARLY focussed shot, I am 90% certain that the one row 14 ribbon bar above WAS Feuchtinger's.

PS This photo dates after 6 August 1944, when he received a Knight's Cross I missed because my 1958 Keilig did not show him as a recipient.

Guest Rick Research

That was standard OCI ribbon bar class use in Italy.

Those wretched little rosettes were always snagging and being pulled off, which is why they are rarely found on ANY ribbon bars for any awards that used them.