News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I have just won this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=290002972433

Has anyone seen one before? Obviously worn... was this given to the Austrians they were serving with... or other regts of the Alpenkorps?

it is from 1915, the time when the Austrians awarded the Alpenkorps the Edelweiss cap badge....

Hi Chris!

I already saw that medal being sold at Hermann Historica Auction a couple of years ago. I don't know if this Austrian "Spange" is legit, though. The ribbons looks quite brand new for me. The combination is quite interesting. It looks to have the same ribbon, although yours is very faded.

Ciao,

Claudio

This is however a different class. Most regt medals are for the 50th or 100th anniversary. This one is a wartime one given to the Austrians whe were fighting with the Alpenkorps. The Alpenkorps was being trained for mountain warfare by the Austrians at the time.

Would love to find the exact criteria....

Hi Chris, I don't know of any information available in print on these. We are truly in "uncharted waters" on these. There nay be some articles in the BDOS volumes, but you'll have to check that on your end.

One can see a lot of these medals still today especially in Bavaria.

Hi,

a lot is relative. I see lots of EK2s, KVKs etc. etc. But so far this is the first one of these I have conciously seen.

Realistically speaking... how many commemoratives can one regt have given out, compared to an official state medal?

• 3 months later...
    • 2 months later...

Thanks guys. This should be proof enough. I bought this off eBay from a "collector" in Austria who offered a pic of what appeared to be an original. This badge that was delivered is certainily not the same one offered on eBay. It was only 35 Euro and it is going back if my concerns are valid.

If anyone has an original they are parting with, let me know. Thanks for the input.

Chris,

You touched on the point that occurred to me, why bother. As much as I personally like the medal, an original that is, I can't imagine demand would justify the effort. The same "collector" has another currently available on ebay, so perhaps he is the metallurgist as well!