News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

US Iraq Campaign Medal

The Iraq Campaign Medal was established by Public Law 108-234, signed into law by President George W. Bush on May 28, 2004 and implemented by Executive Order 13363, signed by President Bush on November 29, 2004.

The Iraq Campaign Medal may be awarded to members of the Uniformed Services of the United States who serve, or who have served in Iraq or its contiguous waters and air space, in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom from March 19, 2003 to a date to be announced (or until the cessation of Operation Iraqi Freedom).

The area of eligibility encompasses all land area of the country of Iraq and the contiguous water area out to 12 nautical miles, and all air spaces above the land area of Iraq and above the contiguous water area out to 12 nautical miles.

To be eligible for the Iraq Campaign Medal, a Service member must be assigned or attahced to a unit participating in Operation Iraqi Freedom in Iraq for 30 consecutive days or for 60 nonconsecutive days or meet one of the following criteria:

Be engaged in actual combat against the enemy under circumstances involving grave danger of death or serious bodily injury from enemy action, regardless of the amount of time the individual has served in Iraq;

While participating in Operation Iraqi Freedom or on official duties (regardless of the time spent in Iraq) is killed, wounded or injured to the extent that he or she requires medical evacuation from Iraq; or,

While participating as a regularly assigned aircrew member flying sorties into, out of, within, or over Iraq in direct support of Operation Iraqi Freedom; each day that one or more sorties are flown in accordance with these criteria shall count as one day towards the 30 consecutive or 60 nonconsecutive day requirement.

The Iraq Campaign Medal may be awarded posthumously to any Service members who loses his or her life while, as a direct result of participating in qualifying operations, without regard to the length of time in the area of eligibility, if otherwise applicable.

Who/what is that supposed to be on the reverse side?

Here is the official description from the US Army Institute of Heraldry website:

"On the reverse, the Statue of Freedom surmounting a sunburst, encircled by two scimitars points down crossed at tip of blades, all above the inscription ?FOR SERVICE IN IRAQ.?

I believe it is a representation of the Statue of Freedom that tops the dome of the US Capitol building in Washington DC.

Ehrentitle

• 2 weeks later...

Bob

I agree with you US medals really are pretty nasty in their design and manufacture, but I think this is a sign of the times.

British awards whilst in my opinion are still superior in design and manufacture are still by comparison to Victorian awards now cheaply manufactured and not as well finished.

It seems craftmanship and quality, probably due to the combination of cost and the availability of cheap alloys, just seems to be on a downward spiral. Very sad for those that receive their well earnt awards.

There is simply no comparison to the quality of Imperial designs and manufacturing.

• 3 weeks later...

I have many friends who will be receiving these medals, assuming their return to America after their tour. I agree that those who serve deserve something a little more tasteful and of higher quality.

Capstone

Edited by The Capstone