News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

ARAB MEDALS -- Jordan

Ed_Haynes

This the Jordan War of 1948 Medal (It's the Israel War of Independence).

Refer to text posted by Ed for more info.

It's a not so easy to get medal as complete,because the crown is fragile and the straight bar suspension for the ribbon is often found broken.

Also ribbon is impossible to found in ribbon bank of OMSA,OMRS & french dealers.

Emmanuel

This is the Jordan Service Medal 1967-71 (Wisam al Khidmat) and it's a badge,not a medal with ribbon.

But there is a service ribbon worn on ribbon bar ( red,black,white,green in equal width stripes ),but this ribbon is never attached to the medal.

Size : 47 millimeters.

Emmanuel

Here it's Jordan Administrative & Technical Competence Medal.

At the origin it was only a service ribbon,but later in the 80ies the medal was instituted too.

These medal were manufactured by Arthus Bertrand,and after by Huguenin (shiny look).

That one is from Arthus Bertrand.

Emmanuel

This the Jordan Leadership Competence Medal.

Again these medals were first manufactured by Arthus Bertrand and then by Huguenin (shiny look).

That one is made by Huguenin.

Reverse is same as Administrative & Technical Competence.

Emmanuel

This is the Jordan Training Competence Medal.As for all the 3 medals of Competence,this medal was first instituted as a service ribbon,only later in the 80ies the medal was created.

Again this medal was first manufactured by Arthus Bertrand and later by Huguenin (shiny look).

That one is made by Arthus Bertrand.

Emmanuel

This is the Jordan king Hussein Silver Jubilee Medal 1952-77.

It's a medal that was widely awarded,not only to royal guest,but also to all members of the Armed Force in service that day.

But we cannot be sure that this medal was manufactured in the same numbers as the figure of Jordan Armed Forces in 1977.

I mean that lots of soldiers may only have got the ribbon.

Actually this real silver medal made by Arthus Bertrand is not difficult to found in the middle east,but almost ever without ribbon.

The colours of the edged stripes symbolise the red for Army,the sky blue for Air Force and the dark blue for the Navy.

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

This is the Jordan 40 Years of Reign Jubilee Medal 1952-92.

This medal was manufactured by Huguenin.

This medal comes with a ribbon,that I unfortunately do not have (my next post will be the ribbon colour bar).

If anyone can help ?

Emmanuel

Here we have Jordan U.N. Service Medal

Emmanuel

Thank you for sharing this pictures

Any additional information for this medal?

- Date

- Description of the obverse/reverse, translation of the inscriptions, symbolisme, bars of missions if exist

Than you

Edited by Antonio Prieto

This is one of the recently instituted medal by King Abdallah II.

I was told it's Medal of Superiority (translation by Owain).

It's in silver gilt,but the medal exist also in bronze.

No idea of ribbon,but there is an eylet for a ribbon ring above the head of King Abdallah II.

I guess it could have been manufactured by WORTH Co a british medal manufacturer.

If anyone could help for the ribbon colour,or even better to provide a ribbon,I would be glad.

Size : 42 millimeters in diameter.

Emmanuel

Here I enclose some of the pictures I took in Jordan Martyr Memorial in 2004 (sorry no digital camera).

The Jordan Martyr Memorial is the equivalent of the Army Museum,if you ask Martyr Memorail all taxi driver know where it is,but if you ask army museum,nobody knows.It's worth the visit,for diorama of battle and uniform of King Hussein + Medals & Orders.

On this picture at left hand side you can see a common medal ( the medal for the 1973 war ).But this medal is almost ever offered for sale with fantasy ribbon.Here you can see the real one ribbon !!!!

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

This is the Jordan 40 Years of Reign Jubilee Medal 1952-92.

This medal was manufactured by Huguenin.

This medal comes with a ribbon,that I unfortunately do not have (my next post will be the ribbon colour bar).

If anyone can help ?

Emmanuel

It closely resembles saudi Liberation of Kuwait medal. The shape is practically the same (as well as the date of the manufacturing, by the way)

It closely resembles saudi Liberation of Kuwait medal. The shape is practically the same (as well as the date of the manufacturing, by the way)

Practically,but not exactly.

The Jordan Medal is 10 % bigger : 50 millimeters instead of 46 for the Saudi.

The Jordan has 20 tips,the Saudi has 15 tips.

Even if the center sketch is similar again there is a difference in size,the Jordan is 31 millimeters from left scroll to right scroll,and the Saudi Medal is 33 millimeters.

The quality of the Jordan medal is higher.

Emmanuel

• 3 years later...

JORDAN Royal Household Order - the Order of Hashimi - the Order of King Abdullah II, the Order of the Jordanian Falcon in civil and military divisions, the Order of Sacrifice for distinguished military conduct, the King Abdullah II Honour for Charitable endeavours, a National Security Medal, Overseas Military Service Medal with some sixteen service bars, a Wound Badge and the King Abdullah II Accession Medal.

Source

http://www.jaffnaroyalfamily.org/contentfiles/Image/edition1_royal_families_worldwide_newsletter.pdfl.

Edited by Antonio Prieto

• 3 months later...

Jordan Order of the Star (Wisam al-Kawkab al-Urdani) founded in 1949 by King Abdullah I. Usually given by head of state King Abdullah for extraordinary achievements, to military and government officials. This is an early set made by Garrard in Birmingham England in 1966. The pieces are very heavy and substantial, made of silver. The maker marks and British silver markrs of anchor, Lion, and R are stamped on the back. The Anchor represents the city of Birmingham, the R represents the year 1966 in the British silver marking system. The later made medals Order of the Star were made by Bertrand, Huguenin and Bichay in Egypt.

Edited by Markus

Jordan Order of the Star (Wisam al-Kawkab al-Urdani) founded in 1949 by King Abdullah I. Usually given by head of state King Abdullah for extraordinary achievements, to military and government officials. This is an early set made by Garrard in Birmingham England in 1952. The pieces are very heavy and substantial made of silver. The maker marks and British silver markrs of anchor, Lion, and R are stamped on the back. The Anchor represents the city of Birmingham, the R represents the year 1952 in the British silver marking system. The later made medals Order of the Star were made by Bichay in Egypt.

According to my files R is 1966 (for Birmingham) ; But still an early piece, as the later manufacturer Arthus Bertrand & Huguenin were less well made.

www.silvercollection.it/englishsilverhallmarksBIR.html

Emmanuel

According to my files R is 1966 (for Birmingham) ; But still an early piece, as the later manufacturer Arthus Bertrand & Huguenin were less well made.

www.silvercollection.it/englishsilverhallmarksBIR.html

Emmanuel

Thanks Emmanuel,

I was using the same site to look up the date, but mistakingly was in the wrong city section. You are correct!

Congratulations Markus.

A superb set from a quality maker.

I find it fascinating that many of the 'new' Middle Eastern awards founded in the 1950s resemble the old Ottoman Order of Medjidie abolished three decades earlier. Memories of the Ottoman Empire must have improved with age. Or perhaps it was just nostalgia.