News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest Rick Research

I don't know how to tell if one is a WW1 award or from 1870, 1866, or... ?

If only they'd put DATES on these! :banger:

I just saw a Baden "F?r Tapferkeit" silver medal today (Karl Friedrich medal?)

Named simply to a man "L?ffler"

Do you think there is any chance in getting an ID on the man and the deed?

Thanks

Chris

The Karl-Friedrich Military Merit Medal? Named on the reverse? Unfortunately, I left the Zelosko book with all the recipients in my office. Daniel might have a copy though.

As for Rick's dilemma, perhaps you could let him know, since his petty little spat apparently keeps him from reading my posts or having the courtesy to respond when I try to help him, that on the type used in the Franco-Prussian War, the obverse read FUR BADENS EHRE, without an Umlaut. On the World War I type (actually introduced in 1915, so early awards were the old type), it reads F?R BADENS EHRE, with the Umlaut. Both types are illustrated here: http://home.att.net/~david.danner/militaria/baden.htm

Before 1870, there were various engraver/maker marks to indicate which type.

The Karl-Friedrich Military Merit Medal? Named on the reverse? Unfortunately, I left the Zelosko book with all the recipients in my office. Daniel might have a copy though.

As for Rick's dilemma, perhaps you could let him know, since his petty little spat apparently keeps him from reading my posts or having the courtesy to respond when I try to help him, that on the type used in the Franco-Prussian War, the obverse read FUR BADENS EHRE, without an Umlaut. On the World War I type (actually introduced in 1915, so early awards were the old type), it reads F?R BADENS EHRE, with the Umlaut. Both types are illustrated here: http://home.att.net/~david.danner/militaria/baden.htm

Before 1870, there were various engraver/maker marks to indicate which type.

Hi Dave,

Does the book have any of the citations?

Thanks

Chris

Hi Dave,

Does the book have any of the citations?

Thanks

Chris

It is a multi-volume set. I only have Volume II, which lists all recipients of the order and medals from the Napoleonic era through WW1. Volume III, which came out in 2003, apparently has citations, but I don't know where to find it.