News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Russian WW2 helmets?

Hallo Rheinmetall :cheers:

I believe first it has to be determined the helmets are WW2 vintage as the WW2 style was issued post WW2 with a different

liner, there should also be some stampings and painted marks on the inside of the shell to determine which producer etc.

They were also issued to various other Communist countries, the Commumist Romanians using them into the mid 1950's.Prices can vary between 35+ Euros depending on the type, condition and demand.

Some of the other members here have very good information on helmets, mine was gained from selling a few I found in Romania to other collectors.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Some units applied a red star, some just the outline (a skeletal star), but they were not universal. And yes, many are appplied 'retrospectively'.

To answer the question about collector following, I think all Soviet pre war and wartime helmets have a very good following. The 1936 pattern is particularly desirable.

Some units applied a red star, some just the outline (a skeletal star), but they were not universal. And yes, many are appplied 'retrospectively'.

To answer the question about collector following, I think all Soviet pre war and wartime helmets have a very good following. The 1936 pattern is particularly desirable.

It is not exact. The size of a star have been established. These are 70 mm. Tomorrow I necessarily shall show the helmets with a star.

Great pics Sergey! I saw some of these helmets elsewhere with a red star painted on the front. Was this common for WW2 helmets or would it have been done post-war?

This photo has appeared naw.1939 year-helmet from Winter war

Edited by Sergey

That is a great example, Sergy. I would like to find a reasonably priced example for my uniform.

Even now it is possible to find a helmet-36 .But a problem is available in sending a helmet from Russia. Customs rules forbid it to make. It is possible to send subjects of a uniform from a material having written that it is a man's jacket. However this subject and its form it will be well visible in the item of mail. However I shall try to receive the information at customs and I shall inform.

Great pics Sergey! I saw some of these helmets elsewhere with a red star painted on the front. Was this common for WW2 helmets or would it have been done post-war?

Excuse for the late answer. I leaved from the house and had no opportunity to answer. Belaruski correctly was responsible for me. All this so. However the size of a star was identical. However knowing Russian character it is possible to assume, that there were also exceptions of a rule.

Here is a pic of the star. Like you guys say it may not be W.W.2 applied. It looks small. The FJ? It is ok. But it is only a single decal. For $300 I had to buy it. Having it is better than not having one at all. Rich A. in Pa.

Even now it is possible to find a helmet-36 .But a problem is available in sending a helmet from Russia. Customs rules forbid it to make. It is possible to send subjects of a uniform from a material having written that it is a man's jacket. However this subject and its form it will be well visible in the item of mail. However I shall try to receive the information at customs and I shall inform.

Thank you!! I am most specifically looking for a later type(M43?)! Are these still possible to find at a reasonable price?

Hi Paul, no problem with the names! :)

SSh-39 are in my opinion easier to find than WWII SSh-40. The SSh-39 model was made I think from 1939 until 1943 and the SSh-40 model was made from 1940 until the 1960's. Unfortunately many post-war SSh40 have altered stamps on the inside to make them pass as WWII pieces. The thing is that the early post-war SSh-40 helmets are sometimes not distinguishable from WWII SSh-40 helmets.

I am not really up to date with the prices. I bought mine few years ago. Post-war helmets from the 1940?s can be found for $50, WWII Ssh-40 I guess they should be around $200-$250 and SSh39 $300 and more. As I said, you may find some cheaper than that or much more expensive.

I don?t know many dealers who sell Soviet helmets. Here are some that you migh already know, which are normally quite expensive.

http://collectrussia.com/showcat.htm?cat=HEADGEAR

http://www.aboutww2militaria.com/

Hi Paul, no problem with the names! :)

SSh-39 are in my opinion easier to find than WWII SSh-40. The SSh-39 model was made I think from 1939 until 1943 and the SSh-40 model was made from 1940 until the 1960's. Unfortunately many post-war SSh40 have altered stamps on the inside to make them pass as WWII pieces. The thing is that the early post-war SSh-40 helmets are sometimes not distinguishable from WWII SSh-40 helmets.

I shall try to put illustrations for told