News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

RAO with swords, eagle question

Here is a riddle for you. A 4th cl. RAO with golden swords. Nothing different to any other last type RAOs that were awarded between 1875 and 1918 (with golden swords up to 1916). But look at the eagle. I have seen dosens of last type eagles and none of them have had their wings folded like this, but rather spread out across the entire center. I'm looking at this seriously and so i'd like find out why the strange eagle, a variant due to the time it was made, or something else?

Thank you for your time.

Well,I've seen it,too-would it be possible that the medaillon was replaced or exchanged because of a damage? Or it might be a"later" piece from the 20ies?

I've got the big "Nimmergut" in my hands,but I didn't find anything that would match....

Micha

Well,I've seen it,too-would it be possible that the medaillon was replaced or exchanged because of a damage? Or it might be a"later" piece from the 20ies?

I've got the big "Nimmergut" in my hands,but I didn't find anything that would match....

Micha

Micha,

the painting on the medaillon is a little sloppy, isn?t it? Or were the 4th classes not paintet as carefully as a 2nd class, for example?

Gerd

Edited by Gerd Becker

Gerd,

my main collecting field are the iron crosses! But I'm very interested in the RAOs-

indeed is the painting of the medaillon a little stange,and I'm shure this is the reason why it's not already sold!And I didn't find just one eagle matching to this one......I'm no expert,but I would do it like at the Skat-the first thought is the right thought!

Micha

Gerd,

my main collecting field are the iron crosses! But I'm very interested in the RAOs-

indeed is the painting of the medaillon a little stange,and I'm shure this is the reason why it's not already sold!And I didn't find just one eagle matching to this one......I'm no expert,but I would do it like at the Skat-the first thought is the right thought!

Micha

Thanks, Micha. Its the same here. I really like the construction, but the medaillon is indeed strange.

Lets see, what the RAO-Experts say....

best,

Gerd

A riddle solved. It seems that the painting is a typical one for the period between 1900/02 and the campaign in China. It is very rare and with swords awarded only about 80 times. 80 times... by any definition, that is rare! speechless.gif

Yeah, I thought that might come up. I'm sorry but I don't have any spesific information on why these were made with a different center and who they were awarded to. All I can say is that "exception enforces the rule". My archives and knowledge base on RAOs is no where near good enough to have info on crosses that were awarded less than a 100 times.

Guest Brian von Etzel

Sorry, no notifications, so I haven't a clue someone asked a question...

Fairly certain the X was China. He had bow, and rings and swords. China was his first combat.

It's ok. Well, if he did recieve the swords for his RAO in China, that would explain why his RAO has the standard painting and not the one I've posted. Another one of these would certainly make the case more firm, but thats all I got right now..