News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Engraved IC 1st class: your opinions on it?

Dear all:

I found this IC 1st class engraved with "Frh.v. Brandenstein 1.August 1914 VII. AK". According to the German dealer http://www.philipp-militaria.de/Bilderseiten/25969.htm the holder of this IC is a Generalleutnant and Pour le Merite Tr?ger.

To me it seems quite a brand new engraving without any patina. That's strange. What do you think about it?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Ciao,

Claudio

Hello Claudio,

I not an expert on these but I'd tend to agree with your observations unless someone could explain otherwise.

Here's a pic of mine, the engraving on the left isn't very deep but still retains patina whereas the other one appears to have enough patina for several engravings.

Tony

I think you have a cross that has been cleaned within an inch of its' former life Claudio. The style of the engraving looks consistent with other Imperial era pieces, the syntax and abbreviations are all consistent with period use (another place BTW that the fakers seem to consistently screw-up).... I suspect that the cross is legit and the prior owner has removed every shred of age from it. Note that there is no patina on the front either and despite the obvious wear to the paint/core, the enamel looks rather shiny as does the exposed iron.

I think it's a winner, if you like cleaned items.

I would sure try to research his award date prior to buying the cross though.

I would sure try to research his award date prior to buying the cross though.

Hi Claudio

There were 6 von Brandensteins awarded the PLM - three prior to 1914 so probably a little long in the tooth for EK1 action, not to mention order of award precedence..

and these three...

Lt. Col. Hermann von Brandenstein awarded on -- 27 Aug. 1917

Capt. Kurt von Brandenstein awarded on -- 26 Sept. 1918

Col. Otto Freiherr von Brandenstein awarded on -- 15 May 1918

I don't know what Frh. is short for - whether it's rank or name - but if it's name, then your best bet it appears is Otto...?

No idea when any may have been awarded the EK1 however.

Marshall

Claudio,

The date gives me pause for thought. Germany mobilised for war on 1 August 1914, so I would be surprised if that were an award date, unless of course hostilities broke out on that day and he was awarded the EK1 on that date. I wonder when he received his EK2?

But being a member of the nobility, perhaps anything is possible. The 1914 rank list will show whether he was associated with VII. Armee-Korps.

/David

Guest Rick Research

Exactly. The date does it for me. I've read regimental hsirtories where divisional commanders were saluting enlisted men in the fall of 1914 before EK2s became automatic for all officers, and really meant something for enlisted men.

An EK1 on "1 August 1914" makes no sense at all.

I was also interested of this piece, since the only PlM-wearing GL Frhr. von Brandenstein who i could think of, was the very Otto who also fought in Finland in 1918. So, I was just wondering.. everybody seems to think that the date engraved is the awarding date. But has anybody checked if the name and corps actually match? Because, if there is nothing else wrong with this cross, could the '1st of August' actually mean the beginning date of the war? I mean, if the fake-engraver went through the trouble of getting the name and amy corps correct, why would he then do a bogus date? Again, just wondering..

Pete