News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 65
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys,

i will post some more pic's from the book later.What is so special to me about this book is the complete crewlisting in the back of the book.

Eric,

i know someone who has a tradition badge given to him by an Atlantis crewman.I will forward your picture to see if there are any similarities.

Regards,Martin.

Martin,

Thanks very much for posting the attributed Atlantis crew badge! Although possessing different details than mine (as well as the one pictured on page 11 of your book), one would expect that handmade items would vary. Although I'll never know for sure whether my badge was made by an Atlantis crewmember, I still feel comfortable with it in my collection.

Best Regards,

Erik

• 4 years later...

Hello Martin, I'm so glad you posted this. I didn't know about this book until I came across this thread the other day. Very nice! Congratulations. I started looking for one of these and I actually found one. It's signed by Rogge and looks to be in good shape. Do you know if this book was ever faked? Since I've never seen another one for sale I was wondering what a fair price for one of these would be?

Thanks again for showing this.

Luke

Hi Luke,

since i started this thread i have managed to obtain a signed copy by Rogge that came in a grouping and belonged to his 1st Officer,Erich Kuhn.

I am not sure if the book has been "faked" but it has been reprinted several times,even as late as the 1980's i beleive.

As to the price on these books,i just do not know for sure,although i have heard of "Rogge signed" copies of the 1st edition going as high as a $1000.00 ?

Hope this helps,

Martin.

Here is the Erich Kuhn grouping i mentioned in the last post.

The picure is taken along with my other copy of the Atlantis book and you see the Rogge dedication from the inside cover of the "Kuhn" book.

Regards,Martin.

What a wonderful grouping, Martin. You're very lucky. Thanks for showing. Thanks for the info. I'll let you know if I get it. I got burned on an Atlantis photo album recently so I'm being very cautious.

Thanks !

Luke

Hi Luke,

can you provide images of this Atlantis book you intend to buy ?

If you can get photo's from the seller and post them here,perhaps i can be of help.I know of other HK collectors who may also be able to help.

Regards,Martin.

It looks great Luke.

Definately an original copy from what i can see.The handwriting looks to be that of Rogge's but i cannot quite make out what crewman it is dedicated to.

When you get the grouping perhaps you could post more detailed photo's of Rogge's handwriting and i would like to see the contents of the 1960 "Kameradschaft in Kiel" booklet.

If it has the complete crewlist in the back of the book then you have what looks to be a good 1st edition.

Looks like you have a good group here

Regards,Martin.

Edited by Martin W

As i mentioned in my first post the "Atlantis" book was primarily photographed,compiled and was printed due to the efforts of the ships A.O Dr. Ulrich Mohr.

From what i have learned,Mohr was a very private man in the postwar years and would not sign "anything".

A couple of years ago i picked up this signed photo of Mohr and a letter that descibes his reluctance to sign it and send it at the request of the collector.

From a fellow HK collector i have been told that this signed image of Mohr is "ultra-rare" ?

I tought i would post it here due to the subject of the thread.

Regards,Martin.

A similar book was produced for the crewmembers of the Hillfskreuzer Komet

I found this old thread i posted way back in regards to the Komet book.

Some of the content of this old thread is duplicated here in this Atlantis thread.

Regards,Martin.

.http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/41801-bookhilfskreuzer-komet/page-2?hl=+hilfskreuzer

Edited by Martin W

Hi Luke,

i will look forward to seeing the the pictures of the book when you receive it.

If it is a 1st edition and it contains the complete crewlist,you will see the name of Matr.Alfons.Grzywotz.

I am lucky enough to have his HK award.

It is a tombak Juncker piece and he scratched his name on the reverse.

One of my favorite HK awards along with Erich Kuhn' s HK award,which is also a Juncker.

Most of the awards i have seen that came from Atlantis crewmen are made by Juncker.

I have seen a Schwerin and a Meybauer badge that came from Atlantis crewmen,but i beleive theae may have been later "private" purchases ?

Regards,Martin.

Thanks for showing this, Martin. You are lucky indeed. WOW! :love:

I can't believe all the great stuff that you've posted in this thread. That's a nice signed photo of Rogge. I'm lucky enough to have one like it.

Luke

Hi Luke,

the book looks like an original 2nd edition,with the crewlist omitted.

As you mention the photographs are not that great but i certainly make out examples of Rogge's handwriting that i beleive is original.

What puzzles me here is that i have two early editions of the Atlantis book with the complete crewlists but there is no "Kurt Leube" mentioned in the crewlists.

I have no idea what this man's association is with Atlantis,but i will try to find out.

Regards,Martin.

Great pick up Luke!

The Kameradschafts Treffen handout is simply wonderful. I have seen a few of them covering various years. However this was the first time I've seen one for the 10 year!

Martin: "Leube" wasn't a crewman...signatures **for** Leube. He was probably an admirer of the ship or crew and requested the signatures. You'll have occasion to see this practice every-so-often.

Luke: If you could post photos of the Kameradschaft booklet pages, that would be great. Those are a great source of information for my biographical archive database.

I especially like it when Rogge signs items "Your Old Commander..." Great stuff!

Joe