News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

For those collectors of WWI German feldgrau material, one of the illusive components for completing a uniform is the trousers. Original pieces are as scarce as the proverbial hen's teeth and in Europe, the prices have surpassed that of the tunics in some cases. Many collectors have not ever seen an original issue pair and it is usually only the "old timer" collectors that have such pieces, as the scarcity and price prohibits newer collectors from acquiring them. I thought I might show a few of the pairs that I have managed to find in order to help those who have not seen original pieces. When talking about these trousers, I will be referring to feldgrau/grau versions only. There were, of course, the graugr?n wool uniforms worn by the J?ger, Sch?tzen, J?ger zu Pferde, and others. Except for the color of the wool and the piping color, these trousers were more or less identical in manufacture to their feldgrau counterparts. I will be discussing the basic infantry style trousers and will leave the other trouser variations (Reithosen, Stiefelhosen, Gebirgshosen, etc.) for later threads.

Starting in 1907 with the adoption of the feldgrau (and graugr?n) field uniform, the matching trousers were also made from the same feldgrau base cloth. They had red piping on the side seams, originally from the top of waistband down to the pant cuff. In 1910 this piping was reduced and rather than starting on the waistband, it began 2-3cm below the front pockets. Also in 1910, the top waist closure button, which had been made from horn (like all of the fly and pocket buttons) was changed to zink. These shallow zink dish buttons had been used for the suspender (Hosentr?ger) attachments since 1907 and were situated on the waistband, two pairs in the front and two pairs in the back.

By 1914 it had become apparent that the feldgrau cloth of the trousers was fading more quicky than the tunics, due to wear and therefore tended to no longer match the color of the tunic. These varying degrees of fading made for a mottly, undesirable look, which prompted the decision to change the color of the trousers to a more gray color (the so-called Steingrau), which clearly contrasted with the Feldrock. Samples of the new material was stipulated in the late summer of 1914, but the Probe pieces for new colored trousers were not submitted until September 21, 1915. The Bavarian king was not well pleased with the new gray color and therefore ordered (AE from March 31, 1916) a return to the feldgrau cloth. This order, however, turned out to be more of a wish than reality, as economic reasons forced the gray trousers to continue to be made for Bavarian troops.

By the beginning of 1917 there began to be difficulties in the procurement of the gray cloth. Hense, light gray overcoat wool and the heavier tunic cloth were used to make trousers. As the supplies of the gray cloth ran out, the manufacture of the trousers of this color were finally put aside. On November 14, 1917 it was again ordered to use feldgrau and graugr?n cloth for the making of trousers. Remaining unissued stocks of the gray trousers were ordered to be set aside for use with the dress peace uniform (Friedensuniform) and were to be used for the field only in case of a dire emegency.

It is interesting to note that the red piped trousers were apparenty never specifically ordered to be discontinued, though it seems clear that unpiped versions were issued.

For comparison, I am showing two pairs of trousers. The bottom pair is feldgrau and dated 1912. It correctly has the 1910 addition of the zink waist closure button. The other pair is undated and has only manufacturer and size markings. It is made from the gray wool cloth that replaced the feldgrau in 1915. The gray wool of the second pair is what I would call later war, due to its "hairy" appearance caused by the mixture of substitue materials with the wool. These synthetic and reprocessed materials were intended to extend use of the dwindling wool supplies. This gray cloth is very different from the hard finish of the earlier quality wool.. It is nearly identical to the wool on a pair of 1917 dated Stiefelhosen that I will show later. This pair has zink fly buttons, which also is a later war manufacturing change. I would date this pair to the late 1917, early 1918 period and due to the unissued condition, they may well be from some of the last stocks of gray trousers that were held back for dress use.

This information is based upon the work of J?rgen Kraus in his book "Die feldgrauen Uniformierung des deutschen Heeres 1907-1918".

I think the price of trousers does not reflect the extreme rarity. There are many more people in the market for jackets than trousers so the jacket prices are proportionally (proportional to their rarity) higher compared to the trousers...

Added to that, trousers are easily worn in post war situations, at work, on the farm etc... while many jackets just hung in the cupboard.

I long ago gave up looking for a pair.... it is a tiny needle in a very large haystack....

• 4 years later...

Chip,

Thanks for posting----I covet those Feldgrau tuchhose. Where do you live???

I have 2 pair of steingrau Tuchose.

The first is in the same condition as yours and here is the interior stamp:

The second is not in as good shape but has mysterious markings that I can't decipher (something something 3rd Garniture?)--Anyone have any guesses?

Joe

Edited by Joe Sweeney

I have a few rules for my collection... to try and keep it within limits.

1) No pants, No boots..... i.e. nothing below the waistline.... saves lots of money and place

2) No Austrian as it is a slippery slope into another collecting field

So I do German, French, a bit of US and UK..... all above the waist....

With those rules I dont have to feel grumpy when i am standing there without trousers.....

The second is not in as good shape but has mysterious markings that I can't decipher (something something 3rd Garniture?)--Anyone have any guesses?

Joe,

The mark on the right appears to be "8.P.1.", which I would assume means 8.Pionier, 1.Komp.. The larger mark on the left looks postwar to me. So, it's possible these were reissued.

Are both of your pairs red piped?

Chip

Hi Chip,

As a Luftwaffe collector, I never venture into this forum. But I saw the thread highlighted on the side when I logged in and the topic of trousers intrigued me. Thanks for an informative and detailed thread. I had no idea trousers like the ones you have are so rare. But like another said, anything that could be worn post-war (after both wars) was indeed worn. Those with the luxury of storing them away could afford to do so. I too enjoy having trousers with my uniforms and finding them in my strike zone can be difficult. I'm very happy with all the pairs I do have.

Best regards,

Jason

I had no idea trousers like the ones you have are so rare.

Jason,

Thanks for the comments. The really rare ones, in my opinion, are the true feldgrau colored examples that were made from 1907 to 1914. The gray color of Joe's two pairs and my second pair are more commonly seen (though they are rare in their own right).

Chip

A little short of $7000 didn't look close I'd say they were Steingrau, piped from just below the pockets without the lower leg ankle lining, no gusset reinforcement. Faint ink stamps, very good condition.

Eric

I can't get the true colours like Chip with my photos but the 'baggie pair' are steingrau, I included further pictures of me funky naval cut field hosen, still cant find info or another pr out there to compare them last three photos.

Eric