News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Schuetzen Medals - 1932 & 1933

I didn't want to hijack TerryG's photo thread. I haven't seen these discussed before so I thought I'd share them here. They look somewhat similar to some of the minor medals that Terry's guy is wearing.

The medal on the left is dated 4.9.32. The last name is Konig. I can't quite discern the first name, something like "Joh." perhaps, maybe shortened by the engraver. 39.33mm diameter, weight 22.44 grams.

The medal on the right is dated 6.6.33, awarded to I. Ritter. Diameter 39.35mm, weight 22.65 grams.

These were both Red Army bringbacks that I found in Tbilisi.

Enjoy.

Chuck

Guest Rick Research

I've never seen this designation on a German shooting medal, but the later one appears to be a PRIZE TITLE for "1st Knight." The "I." is a Roman capital as used in numbers, rather than script calligraphy which would match the "J" on the other one. ?

Hi,

I don't think, that the first medal is for a "Sch?tzenk?nig".

It is the name, Johann K?nig or Johannes K?nig.

The second medal is definitely a price medal, and I think, that both were price medals.

I Ritter, II. Ritter, Fl?gel, and other descriptions stand for different prices in a shooting on a bird.

The bird has different parts, called Pfand or plural Pf?nder (see catchword Vogelschuss):

http://www.jaegerzug-martinus.de/htmlseit/events.html

The members and the guests of a shooting association shoot on different birds (Ehrenvogel, K?nigsvogel, Pf?ndervogel etc.), with a different number of the "Pf?nder".

The first one, who shot down a Pfand, received a special price (it could be a goose, it could even be a medal like this here in the thread, it could be both).

The shooters who had shot the first parts of the bird could be appointed knights (Ritter).

"Er schlug die Pf?ndersch?tzen zu Rittern und ?berreichte ihnen den Pf?nderorden."

The "Pf?nderorden" could be a medals or a cross, please see here for example:

http://www.steinlueck.de/schuetzen/unterru...?unterrubrik=50

The I. Ritter and the II. Ritter could be assistants for the king (Pagen).

Regards

Uwe

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: Uwe-- you guys have more "rules" and "ceremonial" than the Queen of England!

Over here, people just shoot targets and whoever scores highest gets to pick their prize from whatever is on offer. :speechless1: